CFE 223

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Wondering who has tried it in a 308 Win? It looks pretty good compared to Varget and IMR4064 in the 308 with 165's and 180's. Speeds look pretty good as well. Wondering if any of you all have tried it out yet. I imagine if it works well in the 308, I would bet it would work well in the 338-06 and 35 Whelen as well.

Greetings. did a little asking around on this powder. Apparently military developed to reduce copper fouling {ie copper fouling eraser} and reduce time cleaning. Some of the M1a guys think it does yield a slight increase in velocity but has high pressure signs even half way up the load table for 308 and was not worth the "risk" for not much gain. The elements for the "eraser" portion of the powder is a tin/ bismuth mixture. Others said this mix has been tried before and been around for a while in other available powders. The consensus was that it was not as accurate as benchmark and the extra velocity at top end loads was not worth the potential "risks" involved. The high volume 223 folks liked it at medium charges. Hope this sheds a little light on this powder. Supposedly will run cleaner IF you start with a clean bore. Be safe. Newysan Don't trust a government that does not trust you to own a gun.

Thanks for the heads up on it. Might have to grab a pound and try for myself if I ever see any locally.

SJB358":1n0f8a4b said:
Thanks for the heads up on it. Might have to grab a pound and try for myself if I ever see any locally.

I read Bryce Townsley's article in Hodgdon's 2012 Annual Reloading Magazine. He said he used 48 grains of CFE223 (one grain below max), with a 168 grain Sierra bullet. He stated that max load was a bit too hot for his custom tactical rifle. Shouldn't be a problem for my CZ550.

I'm going to duplicate his load using a Hornady 168 grain SST......

Plus I'm also going to go that extra grain of powder.

I'd love to be able to post data today, but's it's currently 112 and Creek County is covered in smoke.....

anyhoo....I need to get a new chrony.... my old F1 has bit the dust.

I'll try to remember and post the data when it is available.

Semper Fi..!!

I don't know if anyone is watching this thread nowadays but I bought some and worked some loads in .308 for 125's and 130 TSX with outstanding results - I began extrapolating loads for other cartridges since it's one step slower on the chart than BCL-2 - I've tried it in as unlikely rounds as the 325 WSM and although it wasn't a standout it worked OK - Not the first of it's kind, it appears to work well at what it was intended to do and it meters well

I have used CFE in at least 6 different rounds and it has performed good to great in all so far. It really shined in my 22-250 giving 3900+fps with 52gr Berger's.

Has anyone tried in the .204 Ruger? I just ordered some, and also some Benchmark and 8208XBR.

Back