Buying new or used brass?

I personally hate to buy used brass. The only exception is really high quality stuff like Lapua or RWS and I'd still rather buy new stuff. The problem is your taking someones word for how many times it has been fired. Lower quality brass fired even 2x instead of 1x can mean a dramatic decrease in brass life when you might only get 4-5 firings/case.

It depends on who the brass is from. A good friend and hunting buddy just gave me 5000 RWS/223 brass that he said was once fired. Him I believe. Another friend bought brass over the internet that was said to be once fired 300 wsm brass. Some had necks that were spliting. Humm.
Russ

I look for new brass, mostly at gunshows. Even some GS handloads are with new cases and I pull and dump when I get them home. Not many friends shoot the same calibers as I so there's not any help there. Although, recently I did find 100 "once-fired" two-sixty-four cases and after cleaning and resizing they dropped right in the old Remington :lol:

I will not buy used brass, not even from friends for a CF rifle, period! Maybe I would buy once fired military handgun brass with mil primers still in it.

Interesting replies. On a different forum, I got just the opposite. Most there said to buy because the brass has proven itself by being fired at least one time.

I bought 200 deprimed, once fired Federal Match for my 308 several years ago. Wish I would have bought 500. It's like new!

I like new no telling what you might get or how it's been hot-rodded. A guy could roll it hot enough to open the pockets on one firing and you will never know until you prime them.

I guess it depends on your situation.
I always buy new brass.

JD338

During this dearth I've been forced to by Used brass but I've been lucky and managed to get "once fired" Black Hills brass for my .300 Win Mag from a friend I trust with a commercial reloading business. I prefer to buy New.

I have gotten a lot of used brass from people on this forum. If someone says its one time fired I believe them. No one has lied to me yet! I just wouldn't buy used brass from online, auction type sites.

Generally no, unless the brass is for a gas gun like m1 which is going to tear it up quickly so it doesn't matter if it's been fired once or twice.

I would never Buy used brass ever.
That being said, I do scavenge pistol brass at the range for plinking. For carry purposes in the event of a need for serious "Social Work" purchased new brass only.
I never scavenge any rifle brass from the range.

There's a guy over at 24 hour that runs a ballistic lab and sells once fired stuff really reasonable...like 250/$50 delivered for many popular calibers. His offerings last about 6 minutes and they're gone. I've bought alot and been very happy. With that big of lots I can wt sort and sort by head space which often leave me just running it through a lee collect die.
I'll scrounge the buckets at the range too. Pretty ez to tell one fired factory brass by looking at the case mouth...it won't be chamferred...pretty ez to see.

I've purchased plenty of used brass. From my experience you are much more likely to get once fired brass from someone shooting factory ammo and belonging to a forum. On GunBroker you never know, as it's often range brass which could be absolute junk.

I'm also going to be buying an annealing machine as my next piece of reloading equipment.

New brass here. However I did have to get some used 264win mag brass lately. Still looking for new at a less than rape me price. I have had some on back order for about a year.

I don't buy used brass as a rule but do scrounge the range buckets. Best time is when the range has a sighting in day. Most shooters usually didn't reload so would give me their once fired brass. Bucket scrounged brass gets a very thorough examination under a magnifying glass and if no marks showing they've gone though a sizing diem neck or full length I keep them. Those that show signs of possibly being reloaded go into the scrap bucket. About the only time I buy new brass is if a decent deal shows up in the classfieds. A while back I got 100 rounds of new Winchester .280 Rem. brass for $50 and that included shipping. Just couldn't pass that deal up. :mrgreen:
Paul B.

Back