Bullet seatting depth

freebird63

Beginner
Dec 9, 2011
I have some 160gr accubonds for my 280AI, these being a pretty easy bullet to get to shoot, how concerned should I be with the seating depth?

If they are shooting well at the current seating depth, I would say you don't have to worry at all about it..

Unless you are jamming the bullet into the lands, seating depth will not be a safety issue. As you seat the bullet deeper into the case, you lose case capacity and thus some potential for increased velocity. As you seat the bullet out, you increase case capacity. These are generalised statements, and within reason have no negative effect on accuracy or safety. SBJ358 is correct to point out that if your rifle is giving you reasonable accuracy at the present time, you needn't worry about seating depth.

Load them to SAAMI specs at first, or at least load them to fit your magazine. If they give you good performance, well and good. If the SD for velocity is good, then you can play with seating depth to find the sweet spot for accuracy.

Make sure they are off the lands and fit the magazine.

What powder are you using and what make is your rifle?

JD338

Its a custom 280AI, 26" douglas barrel, 1-9 twist. built on a remington 700ADL action, jewell trigger. Powders I have are H4831SC, H1000 and MagPro.

freebird63":j7ohbdlz said:
Its a custom 280AI, 26" douglas barrel, 1-9 twist. built on a remington 700ADL action, jewell trigger. Powders I have are H4831SC, H1000 and MagPro.
Sounds like a nice rifle.
Your magazine box should be 3.600" so now all you need to do is determine how far to the lands.
A good starting point would be .020" off the lands.
The best powder I have found for the 280 AI is RL 22. You should be able to get close, if not exceed, 3000 fps with the 160 gr AB. Federal GM215M primers work really well too. :wink:

JD338

If you have accuracy and will fit in your mag and cycle then your job is done.

Thanks for the input everyone. I was considering using berger bullets, but have not had very much luck in the past and have always had great luck with accubonds. Ya it should have been a no brainer.

Hi there all here:
I am trying to find a sweet spot for AB 130grins for 270win. I wonder for such a long CAOL even more that SAAMI sd CAOL.
Considering magazine size and long ogive in Nosler AB , it gets more shorter , below 3.314'' , while it touches the rifling in 3.409''!!
Best Regards
Rami

Back