Brush/African rifle

Woodycreek

Handloader
Aug 2, 2007
Thinking of a new rifle since i've been laid up recovering from getting my appendix removed. I would like use it as a brush rifle and then on a Cape Buff hunt if i ever get to go. Thinking of something in the .375-.416 range. Been looking at the 375 RUM and 416 Rem mag. Also like the idea of the Rugers in .375 and .416 since the Hawkeye Alaskan is a short, compact rifle. I'm very open to opinions/ideas since i have alot of time on my hands :x

Brian,

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Get the 416 Remington, it is a hammer on cape buffalo.

JD338

Thanks Jim! I have no choice but a speedy recovery since i leave for my Iowa whitetail hunt next thursday.

Woodycreek":2i6f4viz said:
Thanks Jim! I have no choice but a speedy recovery since i leave for my Iowa whitetail hunt next thursday.

Some guys will do anything to get out of having to gut and drag their deer. :lol:
Good luck on your hunt, just take it easy.

FWIW, I waited to have my hernia surgery in Feb of this year, long after deer season. Good as new now, for a 50 yr old........

JD338

After getting gutted myself, it will still be up to me to gut a deer :( Good luck with that surgery Jim. I know you are looking forward to it :lol:

Brian,

I had the surgery in Feb 2009 so I am good to go.

JD338

Woodycreek":fg70xyru said:
Thinking of a new rifle since i've been laid up recovering from getting my appendix removed. I would like use it as a brush rifle and then on a Cape Buff hunt if i ever get to go. Thinking of something in the .375-.416 range. Been looking at the 375 RUM and 416 Rem mag. Also like the idea of the Rugers in .375 and .416 since the Hawkeye Alaskan is a short, compact rifle. I'm very open to opinions/ideas since i have alot of time on my hands :x
..............................Any of the 375`s or the 416s are suitable for caped buffalo. Between the two, the 416s are more of a hammer on the buffs, but the 375s are certainly no slouch on the buffs either and offer flatter long range capability for plains game with the lighter 250, 260 and 270 grainers.

It`s easy to state, get this cartridge or get that cartridge. But what is just as important if not more so, is to get the rifle that suites you the best for carrying, handling, shouldering etc and the best rifle for what you wish to do.

For a DG brush gun and not just for Africa, I`d certainly opt and be more inclined to go with less rifle OAL such as the handier 375-416 Ruger Alaskans with their 20" barrels.

I bought a 375 Ruger Alaskan for use on moose, bison and big bears on this continent. It would certainly make a versatile and ideal one rifle for Africa (DG or plains game) should I have the oppty to go there. I simply wanted a handier, shorter OAL rifle, but with the same ballistic power as the longer 24" and 25" tubed 375 H&H.

I considered the 375 RUM and even a 378 Wby. But within all "guided" average kill shot distances for the caped buffs, dangerous bears etc., their extra bullet speed along with their greater recoil really isn`t necessary in my view. From the accounts I`ve read, a 300 gr solid from a 375 Ruger or from the 375 H&H, will still pass through a large caped buffalo and nail the vitals on the way. Unless modified, the 375 RUM, H&H and 378 Wby don`t come in handier, shorter and better handling 40.75" OAL rifles.

And FWIW, 375 Ruger ammo availability in Africa is getting more abundant in many provinces, because Hornady has acquired permits (with more to come) for African distribution and worldwide distribution of their 375 Ruger factory ammo. The 416 Ruger will also follow that lead.

Narrow down the right rifle for you first, and then the cartridge will simply follow.

That 375 Ruger in the Hawkeye Alaskan looks like a pretty awesome combo. I know I would like to get one eventually. Plus, the 375 Ruger is a pretty great platform for reloading. Scotty

It certainly sounds as if Big Squeeze has done his homework. I would think that the 375 Ruger would make an excellent brush gun. It is the "brush gun" aspect that would have me leaning toward that calibre.

I have a 375 R as well and Love it! Mine is the African though and it has a 23" barrel. Works Great on elk, and is enough for buff. I am kind of interested in the 416 R as well, Just seems pretty cool!

Before the stock cracked I could get three 260 AB into half inch at 2880 fps with 81.5 gr Big Game, and fed 215s. Now it doesn't do to well. I need to get it sent back and see if they will replace it. If not I'll order a McMill for it someday.

Interesting that the stock cracked. I've witnessed that on other Rugers, howbeit Model 77s. I know from experience that if there is any slack in the recoil lug, it does give the stock a pounding.

However, that was some fine grouping with the 260 grain AB. I may find it necessary to look at the cartridge more seriously in the future.

Thanks, Its fun to hunt with but not that fun to work up loads for. They pack a bit of wallop, but not unmanagable.

Ruger is working on the stock splitting issue and as soon as they solve it, there will be a new Ruger African chambered in the 416 Ruger!!

What would be the best bullet/caliber combo for busting through brush,limbs, young growth and still get to the target? I would think a big caliber and big round nose bullet would be better than pointed bullet of any type. When i first start using the 300RUM and 200gr ABs ,i had some up close shots in thick hardwoods while hunting over large fields and cutover. I have since learned that the 300RUM and 200gr ABs is nowhere near a good brush rifle.

Woodycreek":q5tbdstt said:
What would be the best bullet/caliber combo for busting through brush,limbs, young growth and still get to the target? I would think a big caliber and big round nose bullet would be better than pointed bullet of any type.

There is no such think as a true brush bucker. Velocity is an important fator as is a high SD.

I'm thinking 45-70 and a 405 gr bullet at a modest velocity.

JD338

Back