Brown Bear bullets for the 35 Whelen?

Ain't that the truth, Bear! All systems suddenly go to condition red. I've explained to my wife that at once I am terrified, and yet, I've never felt more alive than when in the presence of one of these marvelous creatures. They have my full respect.

I was trying to figure out a word to describe the feeling. Terrifying didn't seem quite right, it's scary, exhilarating, forcing you to respond with razor focus on the situation at hand. I don't know one word that covers it. Never feeling more alive is as good a description as any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy Miner":1lojizfl said:
Now this image looks pretty scary to me. Shot placement?

Guy-

Tip of the nose, when facing you on all fours always aim for the tip of the nose. High hits shoulder/spine, low takes out chest, left and right take out shoulders. It's you best chance at an effective hit.

When ever I get in a tense situation I get an Adrenalin pump and once the situation is under control it takes a while to calm back down and feel exhausted.
The feeling is something I don't care for.

Thebear_78,

I think the word or better yet, term, you may be looking for is "Survival Mode"! I would venture that it encapsulates all those that you have already identified plus state of enhanced senses of self preservation and immediate surroundings and everything within it!

Gil, Thebear-78

or a Religious moment

have never been charged by a bear, but have been charged by a lion a time or two and before the charge it is "please god" and then "thank you god" after the charge/kill. But to be honest it is also exhiliarating

Best Regards

Jamila

Africa Huntress":3tii5q2a said:
Gil, Thebear-78

or a Religious moment

have never been charged by a bear, but have been charged by a lion a time or two and before the charge it is "please god" and then "thank you god" after the charge/kill. But to be honest it is also exhiliarating

Best Regards

Jamila
If I was ever charged by a lion,my shorts would be...well...you know. :oops:

"Never feeling more alive" is always "just this side of stepping into eternity", ha It does get in your blood, no matter what "took you to the Edge". I can tell you another thing that will "get your heart racing"...back in 2002 I was on a ranch in South Africa. It was super foggy, visibility "sometimes" 50ft, sometimes less. I was sitting in the back of a tiny Toyota P/U, when out of the fog, "right there", three gigantic Rhinoceros crossed so close to our front bumper they "brushed" the grill! ha. Two hours later, fog lifted some, then a cape buffalo feed across our front, within 20yds or so. Both times my 35 Whelen AI ( on that hunt I used 200X) felt very small. No griz/Browns stories for me, but even those stinky Black bears out here, the ones that "just appear in front of you", give me "the same thrill", ha. Some men/women "live" for those moments, while others would faint dead away, ha.

Had an Alaskan brown bear rise up from out of the tall grass where he'd been napping as we wandered by no more than 20 feet away, on our way to the salmon stream... That got my attention! I had no idea he was there, then suddenly... There he was! Close. Fortunately he was peaceful.

Guy

If you believe the Farside cartoons, I would say that bears have a sense of humour, and definitely get a kick out of messing with humans!

Watching them in the wild, you can definitely see their playful natures, and yes, they play pranks on each other too!

A number of years ago my ex came up to the lodge for a visit. With everyone out fishing she busied herself cleaning the guide house and then decided to draw a bath. It was an unusually warm day, she opened the windows to air out the house and relaxed in her bath. Said she dozed off. She awoke with a start, looking at a grizzly who had his nose pressed against the bathroom window screen.
I can only imagine what followed but when I returned a couple of hours later she was still agitated.
At dinner everyone listened intently to her story, how she jumped from the tub raced to our room armed her self and ran out the door to chase off the bear.
One of the guests raised his glass " you standing there with a .45/70,in your birthday suit, must have been quite a sight."
I made the mistake of laughing.

ce369be1d936f496492d755534a09334.jpg

89848128a2c56428224e46daf1a2da5a.jpg

Yes, that girl had a mean streak in her. 5'02" 115 pounds and I was scared of her:)

salmonchaser":3pk7edk2 said:
Yes, that girl had a mean streak in her. 5'02" 115 pounds and I was scared of her:)

With a 45-70 in her hands I would say you were a smart man. Oh by the way did she have Red Hair? :grin:

Like my buddy's 117 lb French wife, told him 6'4 ,235 lbs.
At a party after they got into it, hey you b*start, "you gotta sleep sometime"!!!!! And she ment it.....OMG :shock:
Here is Hanley Sayers the president 1st National Bank of Nashville, Tn. With a nice bear that took 4 shots from his.458 to turn him upside down!
And a younger me with a full head of hair!IMAGE00021.jpg

Back