BRASSO?

RAY

Handloader
Jan 31, 2015
Has anyone used brasso for cleaning up Nosler seconds?
It seems here lately the sportsman's warehouse is selling seconds at premium prices, I mentioned it to them.
I bought another 50 ea. of Nosler 3006 brass , the first lot I bought looks great , but this new lot is tarnished .

Lot to lot is consistent in weight , length and datum to case head.

So has anyone used brasso for cases and bullets ?

Good luck......... as a kid, my Mother would have me use that stuff to clean our Brass cocktail table, even used in small amounts would require lots of elbow grease to remove it. It starts out of the bottle brown, then turns jet black, then you will rub and rub and rub and rub some more until the following week you might be done!

Don't do it, find another product. I like to use just plain 0000-000 fine steel wool, or try IOSSO brass cleaner.

I used to use Brasso to clean my brass buckles and tie clip... Kevin explained the stuff to a T!

You've just been given excellent advice. Brasso will work, but it is labour intensive. Depending on how tarnished brass is (and seconds from Nosler won't be tarnished that badly) you can clean it up readily by other methods. Even walnut shell media will be a reasonable job on brass that is not badly tarnished. A thumler tumbler (with stainless steel media) will perform miracles on tarnished brass.

SJB358":hepijxi5 said:
I used to use Brasso to clean my brass buckles and tie clip... Kevin explained the stuff to a T!
Scotty, Imagine a three foot oval table with a raised 4 inch ridged rim all around it........... it took a very long time and the smell would take your breath away....... and come to think of it, that's why my brain isn't working so well anymore? Breathing that stuff killed off too many brain cells! lol

Thanks guys, I didn't know if the ammonia would be bad for the ammo components.
I bought some from the Walmart , it's a white paste in a squeeze bottle.

I tried it on some old cases , not too bad, it put the shine to 'em.

But it does have ammonia and it's strong !!!!

In the old days there used to be lots of posts about brasso.
The consensus was that Brasso had amonia in it and it would weaken the brass.
Maybe they're right but you would have to almost think the brass would have to be porous to have a problem.
I probably wouldn't sweat a quick application one time but I don't think i'd want to make a habit of it.
Tarnish doesn't hurt a darn thing......... just shoot them up and then get them cleaned up when you're done?

kraky":2da7586z said:
In the old days there used to be lots of posts about brasso.
The consensus was that Brasso had amonia in it and it would weaken the brass.
Maybe they're right but you would have to almost think the brass would have to be porous to have a problem.
I probably wouldn't sweat a quick application one time but I don't think i'd want to make a habit of it.
Tarnish doesn't hurt a darn thing......... just shoot them up and then get them cleaned up when you're done?
Thank you for some insight on the ammonia .
I think I'll just stay away from brasso.

longrangehunter":i2d250fw said:
Good luck......... as a kid, my Mother would have me use that stuff to clean our Brass cocktail table, even used in small amounts would require lots of elbow grease to remove it. It starts out of the bottle brown, then turns jet black, then you will rub and rub and rub and rub some more until the following week you might be done!

Don't do it, find another product. I like to use just plain 0000-000 fine steel wool, or try IOSSO brass cleaner.
Thanks , I'll have to give these a try !

There's a product called "never dull"at most Walmarts.
Its a round can that has a chemically treated wadding material. Kinda has a wool like consistancy.
Its reasonably priced and is pretty pleasant to work with if you have a way to spin your cases.
I use it for small test batches of cases or when I get some carbon buildup in the neck of the cases....works pretty good.
It also works good for polishing most any metal including aluminum.
Flitz metal polish is another winner.....a little pricey....but goes a long ways.

The mere mention of BRASSO brings back oh-so-wonderful memories of spending hours of polishing brass belt buckles in the Marines.

RUN!

BRASSO and belt buckles were a form of corporal punishment in our house. Ft. Wainwright, Alaska simply held to many distractions for me. These often resulted in just wait till your father gets home. But, better the Brasso then the belt.
Sorry Ray,
Don't recall ever using it on cartridges.

Years back I was told to never use it on cartridge brass so I didn't. :mrgreen: With tarnished brass, I just run it in the tumbler with a tablespoon of car polish and a small amount of 96% rubbing alcohol. I use the little cup from a Kaopectate bottle to measure the alcohol. Throw all that together with the tarnished brass and let it run over night. Sometimes it takes a mite longer but will usually clean up tarnished brass nicely.
Paul B.

I remember boiling the belt buckles in vinegar to get the lacquer off of them before polishing w Brasso.

Guy Miner":ibkvvmqt said:
The mere mention of BRASSO brings back oh-so-wonderful memories of spending hours of polishing brass belt buckles in the Marines.

RUN!
Run....... Now that is really the truth, I had to laugh at that one Guy!

Back