BLR '81L 7RM

Wincheringen

Handloader
Jan 10, 2012
Today one of my coworkers mentioned he was selling a BLR '81L in 7RM. I wasn't really interested but he said he was looking for a .357 Mag revolver and I have a few of those. I wasn't really interested in getting rid of any of those either. I happen to have a few 4" SS Ruger GP100s and a few other .357s. He said straight across for the GP100 and I thought about it for a minute and decided that was a good enough deal for me.

So now I'm the owner of a BLR, which I have no direct use for. That hasn't stopped me in the past though. It is a nice rifle, I've toyed with the idea of getting a BLR in the past but never really found one I liked enough. I see a lot in 7/08 and .243. I have a 7/08 bolt rifle that I really like and no use at all for a .243.

I think I came out ahead on the deal, the rifle is in pretty nice shape. I would say the metal is 100% and the wood has a couple very light dings and scratches. The rear sight is missing, but Midway has them for $58 so that is an easy fix.

A quick peek in the bore revealed good rifling and later a light brushing and a patch showed just a hint of copper fouling. I doubt it was shot much.

Sweet rifle, for sure. I like the BLR. It is light and lively, dancing in my hand and finding its way to my shoulder without effort. I've owned several, all chambered in 358 (a favoured cartridge for me). I've shot quite a few chambered in other cartridges. The 7RM should be a great cartridge for that rifle. I don't believe you will regret having the rifle.

...well, it'd be the "perfect rifle" for a pack trip into the Selway-Bitterroot, the Thoroughfare, the Winds, Chamberlain Meadows, the Bob Marshall, or Absarokas...

A fine looking rifle that should treat you well.

The only thing I don't like about our family BLR is the trigger pull, but it's not all that bad. I understand there is a gunsmith who specializes in working over the BLR trigger too.

Enjoy that great looking rifle!

Guy

Very nice trade indeed. I love my dads old BLR .308 which is one from the first year made in Belgium. It is one gun that I really trust and love to shoot.

Yes the trigger is horrendous, however it is just fine for a hunting rifle. I'm sure the accuracy is okay on them. I ordered up the rear sight and some ammo from SPS.

Same as the others said, the triggers are sorta tough on them. But if you can get good presses on it, I bet you won't have much trouble getting good accuracy from it. My BLR shoots excellent and like Mike was saying, it just carries perfectly. I think you scored!

I'm still not convinced I want to keep it, but I'm not convinced I want to sell it either.

I'm thinking that it needs a hunting season afield with you. Then you'll know if you want to keep it or not.

If you sell it after hunting season, the timing will be perfect for somebody's Christmas present.

If you keep it, the freezer will be full, antlers will be on the wall, and we'll all get to see pictures of you holding it with some impressive game animal posing...

Guy

Now that Trap season is pretty much over I may get around to putting a scope on it. I have a Leupold 2-7x33 around here somewhere. Some ammo from SPS showed up, so I'll probably take it elk hunting.

Wincheringen":119sci4m said:
Now that Trap season is pretty much over I may get around to putting a scope on it. I have a Leupold 2-7x33 around here somewhere. Some ammo from SPS showed up, so I'll probably take it elk hunting.

Man, I imagine it'll be right at home in the mountains.

Oh, yeah, that BLR will be eager to please when you finally have opportunity to tag an elk.

Back