Binculars

Hegland

Handloader
Jun 1, 2006
Looking for advice here from all you guys who have way more experience than I do...

I had the opportunity to stop at Cabelas in Phoenix this afternoon and I looked at a couple pairs of binocs, a set of Conquests and some Leica Trinovids, both 8x42.

They had an eye chart posted high on the opposite wall of the store. Clarity looked comparable (I think I could have adjusted the Leicas just a little more) and colors were sharp and bright. To my eyes, the glasses were very similar. That said, I was standing in a Cabelas store. What I couldn't very well evaluate was low light/night time quality.

I know the adage of "buy the best you can afford," but the Zeiss were $500 cheaper and looked pretty danged good up next to the red ones. I did not, unfortunately, look through any green ones.

What say you?

The Zeiss binos are very nice, but I'm betting the Leicas might have edged them out when it was darker out. Not saying the Zeiss binos probably wouldn't be awesome, but look for SWFAs Sample List and other places like Cameraland for Demos. Alot of deals to be had. I really love my Victory RFs. Good glass and the Rangefinder right there at your fingers is very handy

I have a pair of the Meopta Meostar 10x42mm binoculars. In a side by side comparison outside the sporting goods store at dust, the Meopta's were brighter to the Swaro's and $600 cheaper to boot.
YMMD

JD338

All good names. I would rate Conquest as the least desirable of the binos listed. I think it would be Leica edging out the Meopta, though Meopta makes an excellent product. I know that with my Leicas, I'm able to clearly see deer grazing at 600 yards fully an hour before sunrise. That is very impressive to my aged eyes.

I do not know. I got 2 pair, and they are good, in low light. Spent hours behind them.

I was wondering as I thought Cabelas had some deal with Meopta for scopes and binos. Seem like a good set of glass for the money.

The gal behind the counter stated that they are in fact manufactured by Meopta. She said shee was impressed with them, but when I asked her what she used, she pointed to Swarovski.

Thanks for all the info guys. What prompted me to look is a budding addiction to night-time coyote hunting, so low light performance will be key.

Try the Alaskan Guide, at night, works good. I have been in the same vehicle with Leica, Leupold, and Burris, and they were the same or better.

Used to help count wildlife at night.

I own a Swarovski EL 10x42. They are about 5 years old. Love them a lot. Last fall a friend bought a pair of Cabelas Euro HD. They are a rebranded Meopta. They are sweet. We swapped for a week. Side by side both of us thought the low light performance was equal. The Swarovski felt better in your hand and weighed less. My friend loves his and I am not sure I would spend the extra money again. Brian

SJB358":3mj8datq said:
Too Tall":3mj8datq said:
Look at the Alaskan Guide series from Cabelas. Good glass and warranty.

Are those rebadged Meoptas?

Yes.

I bought a pair of Meopta 10x42 HD's last fall and took them on our elk hunt. My partner bought a pair of Zeiss' last year before a Texas deer hunt. He played with both of the binos and thought in the end that the Meopta HD was better than his Zeiss.

That's only one opinion, but I really liked them and was not one bit disappointed. Far better than my $400 Leupolds.

Patrick

You fellas are right, Meopta makes the Cabela's Euro binoculars. They are made with Meopta second grade glass.

JD338

Do they make the Alaskan Guide, too? They are as good or better then anything I've compared them too. Been next to a lot of 'Government issued' glass, too.

I own both a pair of Leica Trinovid's and a pair of Zeiss Victory's. The Leica's are very good binoculars and cost about half what Zeiss Victory's cost to buy the 10x42 Leica Trinovids. I do not know how much that you want to spend?

Just the sort of feedback I hoped for men, thank you.

Charlie, I'm not sure I can say just how much I'm prepared to spend right now either. Though we have had about 18" of snow over the last couple weeks, with more projected tomorrow, winter about has to be in its last gasps. Thus, the night coyote hunting will likely draw down fairly quickly.

My thought right now is to take my time over the summer, see how much I can squirrel away for this purpose, and deliberate for a while. Your contributions are greatly appreciated!

I fell into it with the Zeiss binoculars When the Zeiss Classic armored binoculars were taken off the market and replaced with the Victories, I bought a paid of 10x42 Zeiss Classic Armored binoculars for $700. I have never reached for my credit card as fast before or since Cabela's put those on super clearance.

JD338":3lupol9i said:
You fellas are right, Meopta makes the Cabela's Euro binoculars. They are made with Meopta second grade glass.

JD338
Meopta second grade glass looks real good to me! Meopta binoculars are awesome in my book.

Back