best bullets for top velocity in the .300WM

lhsako

Handloader
Jan 12, 2012
my current load is 180 tip over 75.5 RL 22. vel 3,120, , .75" 3 shots.
I find that most bullets other than the ballistic tip can not be pushed to this level.
being that this is a deer load and I may shoot at 400 plus yds. i'd prefer a more "fragile" bullet provide more expansion at those longer ranges. the tips construction allows these top velocities but I also wonder if max expansion at lower impact velocity suffers. have any of you found any other bullets that can achieve what I seek? please keep in my that I understand there are many variables at play here....

I've had no problems with Ballistic Tip bullets expanding at longish ranges & lower velocities. They expand readily.

Guy

Guy Miner":22iu07fr said:
I've had no problems with Ballistic Tip bullets expanding at longish ranges & lower velocities. They expand readily.

Guy
whats the longest range that you have to reference? broadside hit thru the ribs? quartering? whats your guess at the impact velocity? thanks

Seen elk hit in the ribs from a 300 Wby and 180 BT. They open up excellent at distance. Speeds are close as well to yours. I wouldn't worry about a BT NOT opening till its under 2000 FPS. The 180 BT is one bad customer in my opinion. One of those premiums without being a PT or Accubonds.

I've brought down deer with one shot using the reliable 180gn Hornady Interlock boat tail from my 300 Wby. Going between 3060 and 3100fps, depending on the handload, and a 300 yard zero is a quick way to end the hunt with one well placed shot. Taking big deer at 335 and 535 yards was not problem for the Interlock.

lhsako":up66ved6 said:
Guy Miner":up66ved6 said:

Guy
whats the longest range that you have to reference? broadside hit thru the ribs? quartering? whats your guess at the impact velocity? thanks

I made a poor first shot on my 2014 Wyoming mule deer. Range was 280 yards and he was walking, quartering away. I hit farther back than I should have. Made a second hit at what I estimate was 340 yards. Ribcage shots.

Bullet was the 115 gr .257" Nosler Ballistic Tip, at 3120 fps mv from my .25-06 Rem.

Velocity at 350 yards should be about 2385 fps, according to the JBM Ballistics Calculator. The bullets penetrated through, and obviously expanded well.

My bullets are much smaller than your .300 uses, and I'd think your .300 with 180's would do even better!

Another bullet I've used, that opened up well at an honest 400 yards, on mule deer, is the 115 gr Berger VLD. Very impressed with that bullet for deer.

Regards, Guy

appreciate the feedback. I like the tips a lot! I practice a great deal at 500+ yds. the hornady interlock shows pressure signs before the tip does. I feel the interlock will expand at lower velocities. however I want the velocity. I my be wrong but tips seemed to be softer in the past. could be anecdotal on my part. also like the speer boat tail in the expansion dept. just want the best of both worlds.....

SJB358":9eh5w906 said:
If the Ballistic Tip shoots well I'd quit looking. It'll work.
lol... that's not the point of reloading ,tweeking, tailoring the best bullet for the job is it?

True, I hear you there but I've been burned a couple of times by other billets so when it comes to hunting I'm pretty likely to have a Nosler up front. I have not ever been let down by them.

SJB358":37ducqbx said:
True, I hear you there but I've been burned a couple of times by other billets so when it comes to hunting I'm pretty likely to have a Nosler up front. I have not ever been let down by them.
For the moose,elk,bear crowd I always use 225/250 partitions in the .338WM.
lets face it, w/ a 180 penetration is not going to be a problem on whitetails. adequate expansion is more likely. the problem is as I stated at the beginning, is the a bullet that can be pushed. in your collective experience, that can be pushed as fast as the tips? how well it shoots,etc. remains to be tested. bergers seem to get good press, but do the reach max pressure quickly sacrificing top velocities?

Try some of them at the ranges you are practicing run into 5 gallon pails and see what kind of expansion you get. Maybe that would help you feel a touch better about them.

SJB358":12n07pig said:
Try some of them at the ranges you are practicing run into 5 gallon pails and see what kind of expansion you get. Maybe that would help you feel a touch better about them.
try some of which?

SJB358":3qgsswjw said:
The bullets you want to use for hunting.
oh yes. the access is too steep for that though. the acid test for expansion where there is little resistance, such as bullet slips between 2 ribs/ thru the lungs / between 2 more ribs, seems to be thick cardboard........if that initiates expansion I feel more confident. water will open up a bullet as it is rather dense.

Back