Barrel life...

I have a bunch of 170 speer RN in .270 that used to have a cardridge overall length of 3.440 8 years ago. That same bullet is now 3.470. The old gun does have throat erosion. Accuracy is still good so I will keep shooting it until it craps out.

Guy Miner":3q1zxx7v said:
No hard data, but it's been a long time since I've seen anything but a stainless barrel on the firing line at a match.

That pretty much says it all... But... I do love shiny blued steel..... BT

FOTIS":2j3qsh2d said:
Well to quote the late great Elmer Keith
"To heck with efficiency, its performance we want!"

I feel the same way about my 6mm-284

Exactly !

Charlie, Dr Mike, we never use are collectables and we don't baby our hunting rifles. We use them until they do not shot properly and then either fix them or replace them. Jerry prefers to fix them, I prefer to replace them.

BeeTee, the worst barrel life we have experienced was the 244 H/H

Africa Huntress":25al9ocs said:
Charlie, Dr Mike, we never use are collectables and we don't baby our hunting rifles. We use them until they do not shot properly and then either fix them or replace them. Jerry prefers to fix them, I prefer to replace them.

For this reason, I prefer not to have collectibles. However, my rifles are for hunting. Like Jerry, when they reach a point that I am no longer satisfied with the way in which they shoot, I'll repair them (of replace them if I can find precisely what I want).

Same here A. I hunt with all of mine and love every second of it. I spend alot of time with them, getting them to shoot the way I want, so I take it as a point of pride to get them out into the hunting fields.

Africa Huntress":mbrkj6ti said:
BeeTee, the worst barrel life we have experienced was the 244 H/H

I bet!

Barrel life is usually not a concern for most of us. I've only replaced one barrel on one rifle in 45 years (a 300 H&H), due more to neglect than from shooting (it was that way when I got it). BT

So I am looking at 1000 shots (maybe) from my 6mm-284

I do not have any gun that I will not hunt with. Even the .270 Pre 64 Winchester was not a collectable when I got it. The previous owner had made sure of that buy filing the checkering off the Super Grade stock and by cutting the stock and hand drilling (4) tapped holes for a side mount in the action wall. I had it made into a custom rifle and have hunted with it for 40 years.

I used to collect Winchester Bolt and Lever Actions (Pre-64) and I shot all of them but never hunted with the more valuable ones which were harder to replace.

Back