Bad day turned decent

JDMAG

Handloader
Aug 15, 2006
I got up at 3:00 AM this morning to take my son Tater on his first duck hunt (where he carried a gun anyway). We got every thing loaded up hooked up the boat, and went to his friends favorite place. well when we got there, some,Butt head's had parked their 2 trucks side by side at the top of the boat ramp, so no one else could get in. thats just sorry. So we headed back, as it was already getting too late to get anywhere else, and had breakfast at a local diner, took his friend home, and I decided to drive by my deer lease to see if any of the guys were out there.
We were driving along the edge of the lease (still on black top), and I looked over in a corn field across from the lease, that had been harvested, and saw what I thought was a small clump of brush I hadn't noticed before.
Then the brush TURNED SIDE WAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :grin: :grin: :idea: :idea: :idea:
It was the biggest NON TYPICAL I have ever seen in this area! Antlers well past it's ears, points going every where, and a drop tine on both sides! If Tater wasn't with me, I would have said nothing, due to lack of evidence, I'm sure if some one else has seen this deer, they are keeping there mouth shut as well. It was heading for my lease, but turned and went back from whence it came when I backed up to take a second look.
I guess I'll take the lease again next year if no one gets that buck this year.

Oh, yeah. That can make the day. It did start poorly, but hope springs eternal. Hope you see that bad boy next year.

We still have some time this year. I know where he was heading, and there is little pressure on this side of the lease. I may need to stick a stand over there before christmas break. I might have to use a bow, but I think my strategy is becomeing clear. :twisted:

JD

Glad your day turned out for the better.
I hope you can put the smack on that big buck.

JD338

Tater and I were both setting there on the side of the road, speachless, and he finaly said "I aint got nothin but a shotgun and steel shot"

Now, it would be just too cool if Tater were to be there to drop that brute.

Well, on the one hand, I hope one of you gets a shot at that buck, for sure. Beyond that, I hope you made mental notes of the trucks at the ramp. I'd have left a calling card on their hood or some such, to express my discontent. Nothing permanently damaging, but I'd sure be hard pressed not to let them know my distaste. Slobs like that are of no use to me.

But, again, go get that monster!

dubyam":29o6q27l said:
Well, on the one hand, I hope one of you gets a shot at that buck, for sure. Beyond that, I hope you made mental notes of the trucks at the ramp. I'd have left a calling card on their hood or some such, to express my discontent. Nothing permanently damaging, but I'd sure be hard pressed not to let them know my distaste. Slobs like that are of no use to me.

But, again, go get that monster!

Calling card idea,
Remove 8 valve stem innards and leave them on the hood. I bet they would think twice about blocking a ramp again. :twisted:

JD338

Remove 8 valve stem innards and leave them on the hood. I bet they would think twice about blocking a ramp again.

Fascinating idea! Yes, that would be a most effective calling card! :lol:

Valve stem innards is a great idea. I think it would be necessary to at least remove two from each truck, so they'd have to call someone. I was thinking more of something on the middle of the hood, like a big turd or some other foul, and yet not permanently damaging, item for these clods to remove. But making their day long and difficult is even better. Also, I'd get their tag numbers just in case they ever do it again. If it's a public ramp, you might could have them towed as nuisance repeat offenders, as well. In fact, as I think about it, that's the best idea yet - have them towed by the local authorities for blocking the ramp. I can't imagine their reaction when they pull up in their boat(s) and find their trucks gone. I might like to watch that.

I don't know if its just the area or what ...but around here bad things happen when you mess up someones duck hunting. I mean BAD! I have seen high rise lookin duck blinds burned down, decoys stolen, boats burned, sabotaged,crops destroyed, and other un mentionable occurrences.
There was enough cussin goin on by others, That I can almost guarantee, that if something didn't happen yesterday, it is in the planning stage.
I got my son and the other kid out of there before it turned ugly.

Sounds like people take their duck hunting seriously. Good plan to get your boy away from that.

I had the same experience yesterday here in Va. My hunting partner and I hunted all day in freezing rain and then wet snow. We saw a flash of one deer all day. On our ride home, we both saw the largest 4x4 Whitetail (we have seen in VA) with a doe in the middle of a beanfield. It was about 30 yards from our truck. He was so sick in rut he wouldn't leave her, where she would move, he would follow right behind her. Pretty dangerous actions for such a big deer in this area, but man is it cool to watch love sick bucks. I think I am going to go door knocking today in order to try and secure some hunting permission where we saw the buck. It is tough getting the hang of Va deer hunting, but slowly we are getting it figured out. Scotty

Back