Back up for Dangerous game hunt

alaska100

Handloader
Jan 31, 2012
On a different forum Aleena was telling us about her husband hunting lions with a German made Jaeger style 62 caliber Flintlock. He asks her to back him up with a modern big bore double barrel rifle.

The question was asked by another member if their were others on the forum, that would choose their wife to back them up if hunting lions with a flintlock.

I said no, that my first choice other than a professional hunter would actually be my mother. She is a good shot, has hunted all her life, has hunted dangerous game, and would not want her son hurt.

would any one else here, besides Jerry, choose his wife to back him up on a lion hunt ?

I'd not trust my wife, only because she hasn't shot larger bore rifles. As far as attachment to her husband, I don't have any doubt she'd do all necessary to defend me; and I can assure you that I'd do anything to keep her from harm.

Hunting lion with a flintlock

Which is one of the reasons I lovingly refer to my husband as "my idiot husband". Actually that phrase was created a few years ago during a different conversation between my husband, myself and Tom ( tddeangelo ). I wont tell you what he lovingly calls me. lol

Mike this was debated on a different forum recently and it was interesting and fun to find out who ( besides a professional ) each person would choose, to back them up.

Sean, a word to the wise for future consideration. As a couple of people are aware even my answer on the Africa book thread drew some negative comments, so be prepared to ask Jim to delete this thread, if it goes south on you.

While I am here, thanks Russ and I agree with you

I would choose a PH. Pretty sure my now ex wife would have beefed up the life insurance policy. :)

JD338

My wife would NEVER go to begin with. No malls. IF not the PH, it would be one of my hunting buddies. If I didn't trust them, I would not hunt with them.
Russ

My wife would be the perfect back-up on a dangerous game hunt if it were one of my kids doing the hunting. She would gladly step between them and a charging lion and not think twice. And I'd place money on the kids not getting hurt. Now if I was the hunter; I'm guessing that there might me a moment of hesitation in her willingness to get mauled to death so I could beat a hasty retreat. :shock: :lol: :shock:

I'd have to opt for a cool headed PH!

On second thought, my wife could wack it with one of her bags. The bag would stop a D-9 in its tracks. :)
Russ

russ808":3kjwbh2e said:
The bag would stop a D-9 in its tracks. :)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm imagining a cartoon of a lion with its eyes rolling around and with birds and stars circling around its head...

russ808":2xjgru6q said:
On second thought, my wife could wack it with one of her bags. The bag would stop a D-9 in its tracks. :)
Russ

My wife laughed when I read that to her a moment ago. :grin:

Lion hunting with a flintlock... Sheesh... I thought I was being mighty bold, bear hunting with a traditional percussion muzzle loader... Dang!

Backup via my wife? No... She's not a hunter. Shoots a .22 Marlin just fine, or a 20 gauge double, did okay with the AR-15 not long ago, but that's about it for long guns...

Guy

My wife has shot a .22 a long time ago and does not know the drill. Although I expect that she would give it her best if needed.

whoever backs you up there is only one thing you have to remember and that is being able to run faster than they can.

PH for sure. Or either one of my brothers. My wife, not just yet. She is getting into the hunting and shooting thing, but I honestly don't think she has any desire to shoot anything over a 7mm. She would love to be there watching, but she would more than likely opt out of packing a rifle.

Problem is Bruce, that I am old and can't run faster than almost anybody! I had better be able to shoot!

If my rifle failed all I could do is hope that I could out run the person with me. My wife would love to go on hunts with me but as far as carrying a rifle it would only be good as a club :roll:

Blessings,
Dan

Back