Armed Forces Day Chili Cook-off

.280 Remington

Handloader
Jan 17, 2012
Well, there was not the showing of cooks I had hoped for. This was the 1st annual 5K9 run and chili cook-off to benefit the humane society(not on the national level) and dog adoption drive. All is all it was a great day with good friends and cold beer. I cooked CASI chili, Open Chili, and Green Chili and placed in all three. Including WINNING the green chili category with none other than the famous WapitiSlayer.270's green chili recipe. I made a few minor changes, mostly in the spicy category for the judges.

I usually make my comp chili hotter than I would at home or with friends due to the fact that the judges only taste small bites at a time. If you had a whole bowl of what I was cookin up, you'd have some issues needing bread and milk. But in comp you want an upfront heat right away because they don't taste much at a time.

It was a fun day for "Government Issue"(My teams name) and we have some more hardware for the wall. I was the only person to place in all 4 categories, the 4th being showmanship(your set up). I took second in that one. Here are a couple pics!

The set up
9040076C-23EF-4035-8ACC-07AB677AEA7F.jpg

Green Chili Hardware
DB799656-6308-46C0-8E6F-3552A877DA19.jpg

Overall hardware
2D4F9729-0173-4AF9-9CE4-62DFB80CEAD7.jpg

This is not the pic from the comp, but a test run a while back just to let you know what it looks like...............
04BBD134-6355-4482-A4F5-392FA05C2E68.jpg

That sounds like a ton of fun, Mike. Man, I'd love to have been there just to taste some of those fine chillis. Maybe I'll have to come down one day and make Uncle Mike's Three Alarm Bear Chili (guaranteed to bite you twice, going down and coming out). :grin:

I've never been to a chili cook off. Would absolutely love going to one. Hope the participation increased next year.

Long

Back