Arizona Draw

wayno945

Handloader
Jan 29, 2012
Game and Fish just started hitting credit cards. If you put in for Elk and Antelope, you might want to check your account!

Hope you were able to draw, maybe another elk permit would be nice :)

Yes, my buddy just called me because we put the app on his credit card. Fresh charge for 4 cow elk tags :). Woohoo!! Just gotta wait three weeks to find out what unit.

That's great news maybe your big 35 will get another elk to it's credit.

Thanks Gerry. It will be a December tag so I have plenty of time to learn this new unit. I know the Colonel will do it's job if I give it the chance :mrgreen:

The only bad news is that you need to wait till December but it is nice to be able to have something to look forward to.

Wayne,

Would elk still be rutting in AZ in December? Or does it follow a similar schedule to farther north, being in September/October? The rut is pretty well over here by late October; all the cows will have been covered by then.

Congratulations Wayne, it should be a great hunt we will be looking forward to a story or 2 with photos :) !!!

Blessings,
Dan

DrMike":2vbx9xku said:
Wayne,

Would elk still be rutting in AZ in December? Or does it follow a similar schedule to farther north, being in September/October? The rut is pretty well over here by late October; all the cows will have been covered by then.

The Elk rut is September / October down here as well. You will still see bulls running with cows, but I've never heard them bugle that late in the season. The late hunts down here are difficult and can get crowded in certain areas, but I would rather be out hunting than waiting 10 years to draw an early season bull tag. My hunting buddies all have empty freezers at the moment, so we only applied for cow tags. December / January is the time to hunt deer down here, Coues and Muleys do their thing later than their Northern counterparts.

Good intel, Wayne. Wishing you every success in your hunt. We have a late cow hunt on draw that runs Dec through Feb. There are a few bull tags given for that hunt as well. However, there is a generous season through the rut (Sept/Oct).

Congrats Wayne!
I just bought a point this year given my recent health issues. I burned through all the time I had saved up so I'm back at square one. Oh well, I'll at least have another point for when I do enter the draw.
I'll be pulling for you and if I can help just let me know.

Vince

Thanks guys, I'm eagerly awaiting the official results. Should be any day now...

Results are now available via phone. Drew a Unit 23 Anterless tag... can't wait to explore a new area!

wayno945":261ncqb8 said:
Results are now available via phone. Drew a Unit 23 Anterless tag... can't wait to explore a new area!

Congratulations; and here's wishing you every success in that hunt.

Thanks again. The Colonel will definitely be coming with me, but I'm considering bringing the Marlin 45/70 or maybe a 458 Socom AR for the thick stuff. I'm liking the look of those Beartooth Piledriver Jrs.

Back