Anyone try the .277 85 grain etip in 270 win?

kraky

Handloader
Jan 21, 2006
Not necessarily looking for blistering speed but was thinking of tinkering w/blems from sps w/ mild accurate loads on whitetail.
Anyone tinker w/them at all?

Never messed with them, but oh man, talk about a deer zapper. I believe they would be pretty danged deadly on deer, and no fear of them coming apart...

I haven't, but my advice is to push them as much as you're comfortable. As Scotty said, they won't come apart. My experience with E-Tips at ranges from 15-200yds is that velocity is your best friend. Mine were launched from a 270Wby and a 300Wby, and the lowest impact velocity was something like 2800fps. The DRT performance of these bullets when sent through the boiler room is excellent.

I may end up trying the 85s in my son's 270WSM if he decides he wants to take up deer hunting. I'm guessing within the 150-200yds or so I'd allow him over the next few years, that 85gr E-Tip would be a hammer on white-tails at 3400+ from his 22" barreled Browning MicroHunter.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm sure the bullet could do near 3600 in a standard 270 win. Being it was designed and performs great at 6.8 speed I figured I'd start w /4895 or 4064 class powder shooting for about 3300. If accuracy fails I'd have a heck of alot of room to go up looking for an accuracy node.
Thinkn I'll grab a bag of blems on the next sps order to play with.

Back