Anyone try 6.8 bullets in the 270 win?

kraky

Handloader
Jan 21, 2006
Sps has a few 6.8 bullets on sale. I picked up some 110 accubonds just to play a bit with some light loads in my 270 win.
I figure they were designed with the 6.8 speeds in mind and that would be a mv of about 2600 fps. Wonder if they'd work with a start of about 3000 out of the 270 win?
Thinking possible use on whitetail under 200 yds.

kraky":2jtmrvfz said:
Sps has a few 6.8 bullets on sale. I picked up some 110 accubonds just to play a bit with some light loads in my 270 win.
I figure they were designed with the 6.8 speeds in mind and that would be a mv of about 2600 fps. Wonder if they'd work with a start of about 3000 out of the 270 win?
Thinking possible use on whitetail under 200 yds.

I have been thinking of trying them in my 270WSM, I bet since they are AB's they would hold up fine and I could try loading them a little lighter for the wife to get some time behind the rifle.

I see there a 90 or 95 grain etip in the line too! That could be fun too. Dang us reloaders always switching up the intent of a product.
If those 110 ab's were etips they'd be going in my 270 wby and not at reduced loads!

I was wondering too how the 85 gr E Tip would do in the 270, I bet you could get around 3600 fps with them. People have done it already from some reports at 24hourcampfire.

I thought federal was loading the 110 gr ttsx and 110 gr AB in there " High energy loads " as a factory offering to compete against the superformance line. These I thought were in the 270 win and the WSM. I remember something about a article in a gun rag on it. I only reload so factory stuff doesn't ussuly garner much attention from me.
That being said my buddy has been loading the 110 gr pro hunter for a number of years in his 270, it flat out drops WT deer . It was a beginner load for his son and if I rember correctly we worked up to 55 grs. Of IMR 4350, do not quote me on that I'd have to go to the shop and check my records. And it's about -25*C so that ain't happening tonite. Lol

I bought some factory fed 270 win w/110 ttsx. They were claimed to do 3400fps. In my 22" marlin they clocked 3350 and were very accurate.
Didn't know that they might have loaded the 110ab....will have to research.

The Hornady Nosler velocity for 120 grain is shown as a load for the .270 Win is loaded down to 2450 fps at muzzle and down to 1850 fps at 400 yards. Energy is 1900 and 920 respectively. Ths ammo is only available from Cabela's.

I tried some 110 AB's in my Tikka 695 about a year ago just to experiment with them. I don't recall the exact recipe off hand but do remember they shot VERY well and I theorized I might get 25-06ish game performance out of a 270. I didn't shoot anything with them except paper but the potential was definitely there.

Ron

Back