Another Reloading Die Question!!

bluegrass bubba

Beginner
Jan 5, 2006
I am getting ready to reload for a 7MM RM, a couple of questions, What dies? I am leaning toward Forester, I have used them before, but most people are suggesting Redding S, I'm not sure I want to fool with the bushings, I haven't before, also in a hunting rifle do I need to neck size or full length re-size the brass or both? I'm going to use the 160 gr. AB, and H1000, or RL22, or H4831sc as powders, I've got some Nosler brass. Any and all thoughts appreciated!

BB:
Redding makes regular dies, as well as the ones with bushings.

I use RCBS dies for my 7mm RM, and have the neck sizing die in addition to the usual 2 die set.

It is important for hunting rounds, to chamber easily. If neck sizing accomplishes that, it’s fine.

Any well known brand of dies will probably work just fine, including Lee, Lyman, Hornady, and Forster.

I use H 1000 for my 7 Mags. And, 160 grain Nosler Partitions.

Have fun.
Smitty of the North

I would recommend that you not mess with the Redding s series dies for a hunting rifle.

If you think you want to neck size then buy the Redding three die set that has a full length sizer, a neck sizer, and a seating die. (but no bushings) With that set up you can try neck sizing if you want, but have a full length die to fall back on.

Neck sizing is sometimes a good deal, but I do not feel it is a good idea on a hunting rifle.
Sooner or later your cases will become hard to chamber if neck sized only. That is NOT what you want when a nice trophy animal shows up.

I recently worked up a load for a 7mm Remington Magnum and had good success with the 160 AccuBond loaded over 70 grains of RL 25 and sparked by a Fed 215M primer. Start a few grains below that and work up. In the rifle I tested this gave 3100 fps and groups consistantly under an inch.

I just bought some redding dies and went with the bushing style full length re-sizer die. And love it!! you only need to buy 3-4 bushings but you could make do with 2. If its just a hunting riffle you find out what bushing you need put it in and leave it. No messing around.... unless you want to....... they really are nice dies

BB,

Forster are every bit the quality of Redding and cheaper in price. If you decide later you want to try the bushing route, fear not. Contact Jim Carstensen of

http://www.jlcprecision.com/pages/1/index.htm

He will convert your Forster, RCBS, Hornady, etc FL dies to a bushing die for about $35-40.

Another route which many are finding to be quite satifactory is the Lee Neck Collet die. Followed by the Redding body die to keep the shoulder in check and bump it back a touch when chambering is getting difficult.

Either option is a considerable savings compared to the Redding Bushing die.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the help! I did order a box of Nosler Custom ammo for my rifle and shot the best group yet, .487, doubt if I can duplicate that type of accuracy from my own ammo. I had a Rem M700 rebarreled to a 7MM RM, Broughton barrel, looks like it's going to be a shooter.

Back