alliant powder

Sas874runner

Handloader
Oct 10, 2012
Spoke with a rep today as I have been looking for rl 25&22 for what seems like forever and a week. I was informed that most of alliants powders are being made for factory ammo and that due to the demand and back log out may be up to a year before alliant has powder available for reloaders again. :? So I guess at this point it's gonna be the trick of trying to restock and develop some loads for a few rifles. Kinda frustrating if you ask me.

Runner, what calibers are you loading for, perhaps some here can give you some recommendations. I have a pound or (nearly a pound) of each that your more than welcome to, if you can figure how to get it there. !

Thanks. I appreciate it. I do enjoy load development. I am just use to having lots of the powders I shoot. So I am gonna have to watch for some new powders to try. Who knows I may find a new favorite load. 300 rum 30/06 270 win. Are the big powder users due to his much they get shot.

For the 30-06, you should try H4350. The 270Win is well served with H4831 or Accurate MagPro. For the 300RUM, I'd take a look at Retumbo.

dubyam":3l1rd6xb said:
For the 30-06, you should try H4350. The 270Win is well served with H4831 or Accurate MagPro. For the 300RUM, I'd take a look at Retumbo.

WM nailed it with some excellent suggestions.

JD338

For the 06 and 270, either 4895 or 4064 for the lighter bullets. for 180's and above 4831, 150's in the 270, 4350. The RUM should run on H-1000 or Retumbo. Having to develop new loads with different powders is a real pain in the Asp.

IMR 4064, 4350 and 4831 have been turning up pretty regularly. Don't know what your RUM eats, but some of the Ramshot and Viht magnum powders never went out of stock at Grafs. Just checked, Magpro and IMR 7828 are both in stock there. Both are in the burn range of the slower Alliants, between 22 and 25 according to the chart.

I would also look at NORMA powders as some of them are pricy but with a little experimenting you will find one that will work ! Maybe their is a reason Weatherby uses NORMA made ammo for a reason !

Has anyone used mr4000 in 300rum. As for the 270. I have a load with 4831sc but again have not seen it in months. And for my 06 I have started working a load with 760. Normally I shoot about 100 rounds a week but due to scarcity of powders I have been dwindling away at the supply. And my go to powders are no more for a while. So I have to start a new supply to shoot.

Back