Aliant 4000MR?

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
I was wondering around A few local sporting stores yesterday looking for some Ramshot BG, H1000, 7828ssc, and whatever else I thought I might need. The only thing that I could find was some 7828ssc.

I did however find several cans of 4000MR. I have heard of it, but never really heard of anybody using it. Did a quick search online (My wife was very patiently waiting with a cart full of kids, I way out kicked my coverage in landing her), and found several contradicting things. The Aliant site says between RL-22 and RL-25 (got me excited!) A pile of reviews that I read said that it was closer to RL-17 and 4350 :?

I was wondering how it could work in the 280AI, 270 Weatherby, and STW, but mostly was thinking about my 338/375R.

Has anybody played with 4000MR in anything? What are your thoughts?

I've played with it quite a bit. Its just a tad faster than re19 but slower than h4350.
It isn't a magic velocity getter but burns clean and is consistant.
Its useful in everything from 243 through 300win.
Think of it as a short kernal I 4831 I guess!

Thanks guys. I need to develop a new load for all these rifles like a need a hole in the head. Sometimes I wonder if I spend half my barrel life just messing around with different loads when I have some that work very well. I keep looking for that dang better mouse trap.

4000MR will likely be another great tool for the hand loader. Right now, load data is a tad skimpy. It'll come, though.

I am looking for it to hit Quickload, but others have noted great stuff from the other MR powders..

Seems like a good powder though. I know what you mean, developing new loads for loads you already have.... Yep, just killing for another hole in the head!

The release of mr4000 was about as good as Obamacare. I think alliant still calls it spherical. Then alliant didn't have the burn rate right. Then they provided almost 0 data for it. It shows more promise in 3006 based cases than magnum cases. Its almost like they gave someone the order to make it to a specification and received a different product. If i had to guess I'd say it isn't gonna be around real long....and I'd be surprised if it ever shows up on quickload.

A guy over on 24HR did some testing with it. It is the only powder I can find in stock with regularity at SW here in Colorado Springs and at $22 per pound. The other place I find powders I want, I haven't broke down to buy yet. They want $36 per pound for most powders and $200 for 8lb kegs. So I'm going to give 4000 MR a go in a few different cartridges.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... /4237415/1

Sorry Dr. Mike, I know I really shouldn't be complaining since I'm so spoiled.

SJB358":3vmurp6p said:
I am looking for it to hit Quickload, but others have noted great stuff from the other MR powders..

Seems like a good powder though. I know what you mean, developing new loads for loads you already have.... Yep, just killing for another hole in the head!

+1

Back