Alaska Peninsula

alaska100

Handloader
Jan 31, 2012
My grandmother took my brother and I for a trip to various locations on the peninsula. The bears are larger than around the area where we hunt. It was a fun and educational trip. I was wondering how many of our Alaska members have, hunted, fished, visited or maybe live on the peninsula. Or perhaps non Alaska members have also enjoyed the Peninsula and/or Kodiak Island ? They certainly have large bears and moose, great fishing and the bird hunting and scenery is not bad either. Brooke

Brooke it sound like a great place :) by chance to you have any photographs of the your trip :wink:.
Sure wouldn't mind if you could post some (y).
I have never been to Alaska but we hope to make it up there in the next year or 2.

Blessings,
Dan

The Alaska peninsula is unique, remote and rewarding to the intrepid explorer.
I spend my summers in King Salmon, the gateway to the peninsula. The Bears are bigger there for sure.
Where did you go on your adventure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I lived out in the Aleutians we would go through King Salmon to get out there. I've spent a little time there and out in King Cove with a friend who lived there. Only managed to fish and hunt ducks, but there were a pile of them.

Big bears, great fishing and horrible weather...even by AK standards!

Back in the '50s and '60s there was a lucky few that got to visit "The Rock" for awhile. There were stories about how cool it got during certain times of the year!
Also, there were rumors about the biggest Kodiak bears that might have been dispatched with a common M-1 and regulation ammo, just rumors though.

All the best, Jim

I'm pretty sure my dads experience with regulation ammo and the M 1 is why he felt the 06 and 150 grain bullets sufficient when we lived up there.

salmon chaser, this was our third trip and this time we went to Becharof and Akhiok ( Kodiak )

Hodgeman----A young man ask me if I ever think about the movie "The Edge" when flying in a float plane and I told him only about twice a day LOL. The weather is bad when your on the ground and it is terrible when your in a plane--especially a small plane

Kodiak, I mentioned your post to my great uncle and he just smiled and said "the man knows of what he speaks" lol

Nest spring we hope to explore Round Island and view the walrus, have any of you taken that trip ?

Dan, sent you a pm

Brooke

alaska100":2qhkevw4 said:
salmon chaser, this was our third trip and this time we went to Becharof and Akhiok ( Kodiak )

Hodgeman----A young man ask me if I ever think about the movie "The Edge" when flying in a float plane and I told him only about twice a day LOL. The weather is bad when your on the ground and it is terrible when your in a plane--especially a small plane

Kodiak, I mentioned your post to my great uncle and he just smiled and said "the man knows of what he speaks" lol

Nest spring we hope to explore Round Island and view the walrus, have any of you taken that trip ?

Dan, sent you a pm

Brooke
IMG_0585.JPG
About 1 mile up Fetherly creek from Becharof;
IMG_0572.JPG
That's the lake in the background;
IMG_0520.JPG
Another day in the refuge.
One of my favorite places Brooke, I hope you enjoyed it.

I commercial fished crab, salmon, halibut and cod out of Kodiak, Dutch and Bristol Bay since 1988. The land is vast, unforgiving and amazing all rolled into one. Currently I only fish the sockeye run in Bristol Bay where I have a gillnetter in Naknek.

My first trip to Alaska was in 1979 or 1980 - honestly not sure which year now. Have a bunch of old 35mm slides of that trip still.

Float plane from King Salmon, into a lake in what was then Katmai National Monument. Dropped us off near the famous Brooks Falls, with the huge bears feasting on salmon. We camped there for a night, then off, into the Valley of 10,000 Smokes, backpacking & mountaineering. Our small group became very familiar with wet & cold weather, but all in all it was a terrific backpacking adventure. Several times when the weather broke and we were high on a peak or ridge, we could look out across the sea, we could view Kodiak Island. Spent a couple of nights camped right at Novarupta, a lava dome left from the huge 1912 eruption. Amazing place to visit!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novarupta

https://www.nps.gov/katm/planyourvisit/ ... smokes.htm

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/bro ... ooks-falls

The ash was so deep, to get drinking water from the streams we had to lower a pot with a rock in it 20' on a line, then haul it back up. This is slow.

Eventually the plane returned us to civilization, where we rented a car and toured around a bit, camping some more. Nice relaxation after the arduous backpacking/mountaineering trip.

Only bear we had trouble with was a modest size black bear that woke us in the middle of the night, banging our pots & pans around. We'd neglected to clean up well after dinner. We learned.

One of our group was fishing, and ended up out on a gravel bar with mama brown bear & two large "cubs" between him and the bank. They were fishing too! He waited out there quite a while before being able to walk back to the bank. We thought he was going to have to swim for it at one point!

Great trip, about two weeks as I recall. Many Alaskan adventures since, but that was likely the best & most strenuous.

Regards, Guy

The park has developed substantially since then, still lots of bears, still getting there by float plane.
Lots more regulation with camping severely restricted.
The fishing is still good to mind boggling, the Bears will happily join in.
I'd love to see your slides from the trip sometime, it's one of my favorite spots.
Don

sockeye":3t7wv9o2 said:
I commercial fished crab, salmon, halibut and cod out of Kodiak, Dutch and Bristol Bay since 1988. The land is vast, unforgiving and amazing all rolled into one. Currently I only fish the sockeye run in Bristol Bay where I have a gillnetter in Naknek.

sockeye, we know a couple commercial fishermen and it is a tough tough job. Thanks for the post.

Guy, you were there a few years ahead of me, you were there a few years before I was born lol I am glad you enjoyed your trip. although I really enjoyed the trip and look forward to returning, It would not be my first choice as a place to live in Alaska. But as my grandmother says, you "pick your poison" when deciding where you want to live in Alaska.

Don, my great uncle and grandmother tell me the same thing, a lot more regulations now than there was in the 1960's--even 70's and 80's

Hodgeman, Don, Jake, other Alaska residents--your favorite area to hunt Sandhill Cranes ? thank you Brooke

Brooke
I've never hunted them myself but a number of folks from town come out and sit on our deck to pass shoot them before we open in June.
One fella even left a couple of folding chairs and a note asking that we store the chairs under the deck for him. We have and added a 5 gallon bucket "for your empties and trash".
When we arrive on or about June 1, we find the chairs under the deck, a few feathers and the trash bucket full.

Back