A-Tip on game?

Ridge_Runner

Handloader
Sep 29, 2006
anyone used them for hunting? Its the closest thing to bergers I can find available, bought them to have something to shoot, got me to thinking, what if bergers are not available in the future.

Probably not what you have in mind but the 500gr A-tip works for me on whitetail. This feller found out.
View attachment 21053
With a muzzle velocity of just over 2600fps and impact energy of 6500 ft/lbs of energy at 185yds bullet did it’s job.
yeah ,got some for my 338 Edge, not worried much with them, but also have some loaded for my 6.5 CM, was curious how they would work. And thats a bruiser of a buck, congrats.

From what I've read about them they are more violent than the EDM's. With those 2 calibers I doubt your velocities will push them to their limits. I have a bunch of the 230gr .30's to try in one of my .30's when I get a chance.

I would probably pick them over a Berger.
But I will pick the ELD-M over the A-Tip
Thanks Ernie, just looked up the BC of the ELD-M, will give them a try. But the Bergers do shoot very well in my AR-10, loaded them in the CM because I had them on hand, and they were not suitable for my 6.5 Gibbs.

yeah ,got some for my 338 Edge, not worried much with them, but also have some loaded for my 6.5 CM, was curious how they would work. And thats a bruiser of a buck, congrats.
Those 300’s would be perfect for the Edge. With the 6.5 under 3000 I think they would be fine. When driven fast and a hit on bone I would be a little worried.

Thanks Ernie, just looked up the BC of the ELD-M, will give them a try. But the Bergers do shoot very well in my AR-10, loaded them in the CM because I had them on hand, and they were not suitable for my 6.5 Gibbs.
The reports I have seen on the A-Tips on big game have been both good and bad. Some have had bad experiences, while others have had success. Kind of like Berger's.

Cup and core bullets have killed a lot of game up to elk size over the years.

I tend to go to a bonded, partitioned or solid for elk, but I have killed them with cup and core too.

ELD-M's: 134 grain in 25 caliber, 147's does a good job in 6.5's, and 162's on up does great in 7mm, and 168's on up does great in 30 caliber.

It also depends on what you demand form a bullet, whether you want to use them.

there's also a big following of Lapua scenars on game. I used them to shoot a little 125 hog and it worked well. Instant death, but since have gone to hammers and probably done looking for bullets.

I wouldn't use 162's in a fast 7mm. I shot a bull at 533yds with 162 Amax's doing 3265 and it didn't make it past the first lung. From what I've seen the Amax and ELD-M bullets perform the same on game. I would want to keep the velocity well below 3000fps if I was shooting elk with them.

Sorry to be the spoiler here...
But never have and never will.
I will follow the manufacturer's advice and stick to hunting bullets for hunting and leave the target bullets for paper. If they cannot confirm reliable expansion for hunting, I cannot responsibly use them hunting.

I wouldn't use 162's in a fast 7mm. I shot a bull at 533yds with 162 Amax's doing 3265 and it didn't make it past the first lung. From what I've seen the Amax and ELD-M bullets perform the same on game. I would want to keep the velocity well below 3000fps if I was shooting elk with them.
Agree

My take 99% of game is bagged under 400 yards. My 45 years of Big Game Hunting Deer average a little over 200 yards and Antelope 300 yards. Nosler AB for Mag Cartridges and BT for Standard Cartridges. Both have high enough BC for hunting as Well with Other Brands.

My take 99% of game is bagged under 400 yards. My 45 years of Big Game Hunting Deer average a little over 200 yards and Antelope 300 yards. Nosler AB for Mag Cartridges and BT for Standard Cartridges. Both have high enough BC for hunting as Well with Other Brands.
This pretty much sums it up.

JD338

and they are in stock where?

Back