A new 700

Hegland

Handloader
Jun 1, 2006
Not mine, but a college roommate picked up a barely-used stainless/synthetic BDL in .338 WM on the cheap. He put a LimbSaver pad on it, but was still nervous about recoil and was debating selling it for what he had in it. Instead, I conspired with his wife to get him a new VX2 for his birthday, and this week I stopped and picked up a box of Federal Premium 210 Partitions on the way home from work. After we zeroed it yesterday, he told me to shoot a group with it. Here's what it did:

View attachment IMAG0066.jpg

Bone-stock 700, with factory ammunition, chrono'd at just under 2900 FPS. He asked me what I thought, and I said "Go buy every box they have of that lot number and hunt whatever you want with it." He concluded that with some practice, the rifle would be pretty manageable and was worth keeping after all.

I like those new Winchesters, but dang, it's hard to give up on 700s!

yeah....be a real monster to duplicate that grouping with reloads......

Looks like a keeper to me!
Nice shooting.

JD338

Great group. I'd hang onto that and do precisely what you suggested--buy up every box of that particular lot of ammunition to buy some time for working up a good hand load.

That is a great group, once you have that lot number used up then you can start playing with the reloads :)

Blessings,
Dan

So that's where the accurate 700 went this year! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

seriously nice group! :wink:

Thanks guys! Here in the midwest, there's not a ton of game that we really need a .338 for... :) So, a couple boxes of ammo should last him quite a while.

In the meantime, I continue load development for my own M70; I think I'm close, but whatever I settle on in mine will likely be a starting point for his rifle as well.

Nice, love those Remingtons :) That Federal 210 gr Partition load would work great for pretty much anything in North America, deer and antelope to moose and grizzly.

Hegland

The 210 gr PT is magic. It is accurate, hits hard and penetrates way more than it should.
It will kill deer, bear, elk and moose will authority.
Your buddy has one heck of a good deer rifle. :wink:

JD338

Great shooting! Yeah, I would lay into a supply of them and not look back. Just like Mike said, it gives you some breathing room to develop a good load.

Makes me wanna good around with the 210 PT's in the new 338..

Back