9.3x62 Mauser load

Horsethief

Handloader
Jul 5, 2012
Anyone looking for a go-to load for their 9.3x62mm Mauser doesn't need to go farther than the 270gn Speer Hot Cor and Varget, specifically 58.5 grains of that powder. Chronographed velocities form yesterday's range sessions were 2448, 2437, 2431, 2433, 2452 and 2444 from Magneto Speed. The first two shots without the muzzle brake were almost touching, then other shots with the brake were only 1 inch lower and in a good group. Again, the first shot was where I though it would be.

I use a 9.3x74R which is ballistic twin of the 9.3x62. I use two bullets: the 250 AccuBond and the 286 Partition. Either bullet will quickly kill any north American game with no drama. These bullets are accurate and shoot MOA groups for me. I have heard of the 270 gr Speer bullets breaking apart and losing their jackets in moose, in particular? Plus, I have some of the Speer bullets and they are not as accurate as the Nosler's in my rifle but rifles vary?

The only other bullet I've used in my 9.3 is the 286gn Hornady. Both bullets group well and any animal I hit with either bullet is going down if I shoot well. The 286s like 63gn of H-4350 best. I don't have chrony numbers for that load but I'm guessing it is about 2350fps, maybe as high as 2380 since the barrel is relatively new. It's good to know the Speer's have a skiving in moose. Maybe I need to talk to my buddy at Swift for some A-Frames if I turn up with an elk tag.

I haven't put mine on the graph yet but 62 gr of 414 and 250 AB's do this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 1,922
I figure that the 9.3x74R is deigned for somewhat lower pressure in double rifles. I have been using 63.5 of IMR 4350 with the 286 Partitions and no pressure signs. This load gets about 2400 fps and should be able to be pushed a little bit more, judiciously of course.

Sounds like a great load. Should be a real hammer on big game.

JD338

nvbroncrider":267l37qs said:
I haven't put mine on the graph yet but 62 gr of 414 and 250 AB's do this.

Fine load, Jake. That rifle has to put a smile on your face each time you pull the trigger.

I had a 270 Speer come apart like a varmint bullet in a moose neck at 2500fps. It's an accurate bullet but I would only use it for smaller game at modest velocities. Probably a great bullet for the 9.3x57.

The only bullet I shoot anymore is the 286 gr nosler Partition. Excellent accuracy and picture perfect performance out of my 9.3x62 at 2450fps.

Great penetration and obvious expansion from 50 to 280 yards on moose and bear. I'm sure there are other good bullets but I have no reason to use anything else from smallish blacktails to brown bears and moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, great loads and all them 9.3's seem to shoot really darned well.

I do like the idea of a 250 AB at around 2600 from the 9.3x62. Seems like a really good set up for just about anything in the world, minus elephants or animals needing solids...

Actually, Scotty, I have some solids for my 9.3x74R. They are Hornady 300 grain solids. At almost 2400 fps, they should kill anything that I am going to shoot?

Oldtrader3":3amejeit said:
Actually, Scotty, I have some solids for my 9.3x74R. They are Hornady 300 grain solids. At almost 2400 fps, they should kill anything that I am going to shoot?

I would think so Charlie. It's a cool cartridge. One of these days...

I used both Varget and H414 in my first 9.3x62 and the 286 Hawk Precision bullet. Later on ,when Nosler came out with the 286PT, 58gr of Varget got me there big time!

It's tough to beat the 286gr Partition and Ramshot BigGame.

BigGame-1.jpg

Back