7x57 Ackley - Custom Build

Palouser

Handloader
Jan 20, 2012
Recently finished a new build and my first custom rifle:

Pre-64 Action
Kreiger 9 twist, #4 Stainless Steel left it 26" after cutting off the unsupported portion
Pillar and glass bedded a Pre-64 altered stock (for now)
Vortex HS-T 6-24 x 50 mm

It turned out pretty well. I didn't have much luck with 140s or 150s but it could have been just the break in process. After 21 rounds, I loaded Berger 168 Grain VLD Hunting with a 0.010" jam and 44 grains of H4350. Two strings of three shot groups yielded sub 1/2 MOA groups. The last group I stepped it up to 46 Grains and got less than 1/4 MOA. These were all 100 yd groups using Nosler Brass and CCI BR2 primers.

Waiting for a calm day to see if it's repeatable. It looks like the rifle has promise. I am thinking of ordering a MacMillan stock for it as they are the only ones I can find who make stocks for Pre-64 actions..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,502
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,502
It sure looks like you have built yourself a tack driver good job.
Thank you for the post and range report as well.
I am looking forward to see how your second session turns out :wink: I am sure it will be as good or better than your first one.

Blessings,
Dan

A group such as that is more than encouraging. When repeated, it will prove itself to be a keeper, for sure.

Wow, 7x57 Ackley is just straight up cool. On a P64 makes it even cooler!!

Show us some pictures. With that rifle shooting like that I'd be sweating just attempting to undue the action screws!

Fireforming! Loaded with Bergers. I haven't taken any pics of the gun but will and post soon. I know, hard to fix something that isn't broken Scotty.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,435
Todd that sounds fantastic. I cannot wait to see some pictures of it! The case looks amazing. Should be one fine hunting rifle!

David

Very nice shooting, you can't get much better than that. I don't think that there is a thing wrong with a McMillian stock.

Nice choice for a chambering and initial fireforming! That is a nice sharp shoulder after one firing. Have you had a chance to shoot a fireformed case to see what it can do group and velocity wise?

I think any pre-64 action needs to stay in a wood stock... :mrgreen:

Just reading this for the first time. I built a 7x57 AI recently, based off of a 7-08 Tikka T3. Got it re-chambered, acquired a long mag and swapped out the short bolt stop for a long one. This is primarily a hunting rifle for sheep country. I have focused on loading 140 grain bullets and have found that 52 gr IMR4350 & H4350 and 50 gr RL 17 are the most consistent performers, with Fed 210 and .04" jump. I'm getting about 3000+ fps under MOA in a 22" barrel. Quite efficient in my way of thinking. Took a bull elk with it last season! H414 is a good one too but MV are a bit lower than the others before accuracy starts to deteriorate. I'm currently working on a load with a 145 gr bullet on top of RL22 in the 3050 fps range but it needs more tinkering to be sure it is what I want.

G'Day Fella's,

Palouser, thats a SAD shooter (in a Great kinda way), you have there!

Doh!
Homer

Sheephunter64":384rmhio said:
Just reading this for the first time. I built a 7x57 AI recently, based off of a 7-08 Tikka T3. Got it re-chambered, acquired a long mag and swapped out the short bolt stop for a long one. This is primarily a hunting rifle for sheep country. I have focused on loading 140 grain bullets and have found that 52 gr IMR4350 & H4350 and 50 gr RL 17 are the most consistent performers, with Fed 210 and .04" jump. I'm getting about 3000+ fps under MOA in a 22" barrel. Quite efficient in my way of thinking. Took a bull elk with it last season! H414 is a good one too but MV are a bit lower than the others before accuracy starts to deteriorate. I'm currently working on a load with a 145 gr bullet on top of RL22 in the 3050 fps range but it needs more tinkering to be sure it is what I want.

Sounds like a great combo!

Sheephunter64":24bf8d7e said:

This sounds awesome. Didn't realize you could go this route to make an Ackley out of a short action. Sounds like a shooter too. I originally was fire forming with H4350, had really good luck with it. My gunsmith just threaded a Tikka T3 barrel and said it was the truest factory barrel he'd ever seen in any rifle. They sound amazing. Thanks for posting.

Back