6x45

I just put together an upper I built using a Shilen CM bbl blank that I profiled/chambered. It's an 18" mid-length gas. I really like the 6x45, super easy to load for and brass is more than plentiful. Will probably get out tomorrow and do a test fire.

This newest bbl I put on a baked graphite black Cerakote finish. It matches the upper very close. I used a Mid West Industries free floating handguard. I used a YHM gas block with flip up sight and a DPMS detachable rear A-2 sight. I haven't decided on a scope yet. Might just sell the upper once I test fire it.

With the 16" bbl I'm getting 2900+/- FPS depending on powder. I forgot about trying the 80gr Barnes TTSX but I can't find the speeds I obtained.

Woodycreek":a5ug0hb7 said:
What kind of speed are you getting out of the 70s?

Are you looking for a Southern Va Gatling Gun! Or still looking for a rifle for Matthew? Scotty

Woodycreek":3ss9s50e said:
It would be neat to have a small 243 in the AR-15 platform.

I guess Matthew can shoot it till you get him his Whelen! Scotty

glane5910":1hcxgemf said:
With the 16" bbl I'm getting 2900+/- FPS depending on powder. I forgot about trying the 80gr Barnes TTSX but I can't find the speeds I obtained.
I think 2900fps out of a 16" is great. I was looking at 20" barrels.

Woodycreek":17761xco said:
glane5910":17761xco said:
It's not too bad. You should get around 3000 and change out of the 20". The 24" gets 3117. This is using Ramshot Exterminator.

I think a AR in a 6x45 would be cool as heck, but I'd love to have one built on a small Sako or short Remington action. LW 22-23" tube and lightweight synthetic stock like a Bansner or McMillan EDGE. Actually, two stocks, as that would probably be a skookum rifle for Little Man to shoot some hogs or a deer with in a couple of years.

(Then I'd have to figure out a way to get us on some good hog-hunting land in Texas!)

glane5910":1gx2bnqt said:
Woodycreek":1gx2bnqt said:
glane5910":1gx2bnqt said:
It's not too bad. You should get around 3000 and change out of the 20". The 24" gets 3117. This is using Ramshot Exterminator.

I just can get 2900 and change with the 60gr BT and Benchmark. In 223 of course!

Yeah, the lower pressures of the 6x45 compared to 5.56 allow that extra velocity. Its a slick little AR-15 round. I think for a light weight bolt gun, I'd just keep it in 243 Win for the extra power though.

Not in a Rifle but I have had a Custom Remington XP-100 and a Bullberry Contender Barrel chambered in 6x45mm.

Out of the Handgun Barrels I was obtaining 2650 FPS with the 80gr. Speer Hot Core Spitzers. That is the bullet I used for Whitetails with good success. For Varmints I mainly used the 60gr. Sierra Hollow Point at 2900 FPS or the 70gr. Hornady SX at a bit over 2800 FPS.

In addition I have used the Improved version of the 6x45, the 6mm T/CU in a couple of Contender Handgun Barrels. 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips out of the 6mm T/CU at a bit over 3000 FPS was a Varmints worst nightmare.

The 6x45mm is a very neat cartridge and performs much better than you'd think it should. I have always obtained great accuracy from this cartridge as well.

Some day I just may have to pick up an AR Upper in this chambering.

Larry

These 6x45's in AR's are just plain sweet. Just got back from test firing my newest build. I started with the gas port at 0.81" but it wasn't cycling properly(ejecting but the carrier wasn't going back far enough to pick up another round. I went up to 0.085"(same as Les Baer uses in his 16") and it ran like a top. Now its got a M-16 carrier so it's heavier than the semi version. That might be why I needed th extra gas or it might've just needed broken in more. The cases ejected perfectly, 7-8 feet away at exactly 3 O'clock in a 1-2 ft pile. I just shot 30 rounds for function. It has open sights now but will throw a scope on it and see how it shoots at distance.
Pretty cool..
Greg

Back