6mm 55gr BT lead free

desertcj

Handloader
Sep 27, 2010
Anybody here have experience with these? I got a couple hundred to run through the .243 's I load for. I have them tumbling on moly as I type this. I'm thinking H414 and IMR4166 for top velocities. I don't currently have either. I do have some IMR3031 which looks like it will "work", but I wouldn't buy it just for this application. Hope to smoke some coyotes this winter with these however I've been doing more loading than shooting here lately.

desertcj":3gxz9lb7 said:
Anybody here have experience with these? I got a couple hundred to run through the .243 's I load for. I have them tumbling on moly as I type this. I'm thinking H414 and IMR4166 for top velocities. I don't currently have either. I do have some IMR3031 which looks like it will "work", but I wouldn't buy it just for this application. Hope to smoke some coyotes this winter with these however I've been doing more loading than shooting here lately.

And you'd be spot on, the 55NBT is the only bullet I use both H414 and W760 interchangeably to exactly the same loads as represented on Hodgdons load data. Other than normal lot to lot checks they are the same.

Not usually a big spherical powder fan but they are IT in this application.

Interesting to note that the 55gr lead free is longer than the standard 70gr Ballistic Tip. Close to the length of the 80gr Ballistic Tip!

Loaded up some test rounds today. Fresh Win brass, BR2 primers, molly coated 55gr lead free BT and IMR 3031. Started at 40gr and went up to 44gr in 1/2 gr steps. 42gr is book max. In my Savage model 12, along with moly coated bullets....book max has not proven out to be actual max in any combo I've tried. Hopefully I get to run these through the chronograph next weekend.

I shot a pile of these out of my Savage 12 in 243. I had reallly good luck with them on yotes with H380. That powder worked great with these and the 55 Bt.

jmad_81":3nrbb9ll said:
I shot a pile of these out of my Savage 12 in 243. I had reallly good luck with them on yotes with H380. That powder worked great with these and the 55 Bt.

I've read a lot of your .243 posts Jmad. You still shooting that Savage? I've read that H380 and H414 are really good with the 55's. I am a little leary of the temp sensativity of them though. I know that IMR 3031 is nothing special, I just happened to have some. The powders I really want to try in this application are IMR 4166, 8208xbr and Benchmark. CFE 223 looks like it would be good too.

Shot some regular 55 gr Ballistic Tip bullets from our 6mm Rem a few years back.

Accuracy was fair, speed was blistering, and they did a fine job on rockchucks. :mrgreen:

I know it's not the same bullet - but I got real excited about the 55's in a 6mm some years ago and had fun with it. It's well worth trying - and might just be a great bullet for your rifle!

Guy

By the way, I read a lot about not being able to seat 55 grain bullets close to the lands because they are so short. Due to the density/lack there of and the resulting length of these bullets I was able to seat these to the same length as the 105gr bullets I've been using at 2.200" to ogive.

desertcj":j5mw0lyd said:
jmad_81":j5mw0lyd said:

I've read a lot of your .243 posts Jmad. You still shooting that Savage? I've read that H380 and H414 are really good with the 55's. I am a little leary of the temp sensativity of them though. I know that IMR 3031 is nothing special, I just happened to have some. The powders I really want to try in this application are IMR 4166, 8208xbr and Benchmark. CFE 223 looks like it would be good too.

I guess I never really worried about the temp sensativity with that round. It was my winter yote round so all I ever used it in was late fall through mid spring then I switched over to the 105 A Max with H1000 for gongs. I don't think that they are hard to get to shoot. I shot Big Game with the 55gr bt for a while as well. Those were the only two powders I tried and I got them both over 3900 and under .5 moa. I would load three different charges with whatever powder you have on hand and see what you gun likes. I bet you find a winner without much hassel.

I shot that barrel out of the 243 and had it rebarreled to a 6.5 saum. I really like that round (have taken deer at 453, and 575 as well as a few yotes at 635, 453, 685, and 710) but miss the fun/very low recoil of a good 6mm. Thinking I might end up with another 6mm something again.

I actually bought this .243 with the intention of rebarreling it to .260 Ackley. Figured I'd try it as a .243 and after some research a little shooting, I decided to stick with the .243. The next barrel will be a .243 Ackley.

For what it's worth, the 3031 looks like it's going to be very good in this application. I hit 4127fps today :shock: That's going to smoke some dogs!

Back