6.8 Western?

So a 150 at 3,000 fps...

What's the big deal? 270 Win, .280 Rem, and 30-06 have been doing this for decades...

What's the big deal?

Guy
It's designed for high bc 165, 170 and 175 gr bullets. I'm not just going to dump my 150's either. The heavier bullets will pull away from the standard weight bullets from a 270 or 30-06 once you get out a ways. It makes more sense to me than the redundant 7mm magnums which is why I'm having a 6.8 Western built. Hopefully will be done soon.

The 6.8 western is what the 270 WSM should have been. High BC bullets of 150gr+ at near magnum velocity in a 22” barreled short action. What’s not to like? All that and the quintessentially American .277 bore is all the better.

I’m really happy that we are seeing some 270 wins on the market running faster twists too

It is a niche that has not been filled, actually surprised it took this long. 165s at near 3000 will kill stuff very dead at long distance.
That's why I went with it since I like the 277 bore to begin with. The plan is to have a load that duplicates the 270 Win with 150's for my wife to use for practice and also hunting. Have some 170 gr Berger's and Ballistic Tips along with those long heavy 175 gr Sierra TGK's to see what they will do.
The 6.8 western is what the 270 WSM should have been. High BC bullets of 150gr+ at near magnum velocity in a 22” barreled short action. What’s not to like? All that and the quintessentially American .277 bore is all the better.

I’m really happy that we are seeing some 270 wins on the market running faster twists too
Exactly right, like the way you put it.

I was really just stirring the pot a bit... It reminds me of the 7 PRC I've been loading for and shooting - kind of an updated, fast-twist, heavy bullet take on the 7mm's.

The 6.8 is an updated, fast-twist, heavy bullet take on the good ol' .277" bore. :)

Guy

So a 150 at 3,000 fps...

What's the big deal? 270 Win, .280 Rem, and 30-06 have been doing this for decades...

What's the big deal?

Guy
You’re right.
When I read about the so-called string points of the 6.8 Western I thought the 270 WSM a received a faster twist rate and Winchester / Browning are calling it new…….but those rifle makers aren’t even making their respective versions the same. Their twist rates are different!!!!
The 6.8 Western is on track to Forgotten.

One would be better off spinning a new fast twist throated barrel on their 270 WSM.
Winchester must have figured the WSM has ran it’s life cycle.

One would be better off spinning a new fast twist throated barrel on their 270 WSM.
The added head height by pushing the shoulder back allows you to seat the longer bullets out. You would need a longer action to get the same results in the 270 WSM. Just like they pushed the shoulder back on the 6.5CM vs the 260

Marketing hype for a faster twist and heavier bullets.

JD338

I'm content sticking with the cheaper stuff that has worked and will continue to work out as far as 99.9% of people will shoot at game or have the ability to hit game. Nothing wrong with getting into a specialized game but that high BC stuff doesn't start to show it's real advantages until it's out past where I'd want to shoot anyways.

If you had a short action with a Wyatt's mag box you could definitely make maximum performance out of a thoated 270wsm that the 6.8 westerner could do. The wsm case is bigger to begin with.

While the WSMs may have faded out of vogue for new rifle sales, I believe that many of those "regular" hunters who own these rifles enjoy them for what they are and are continuing to use with them with satisfaction. (except those that are completely enamoured with long range hunting and in that constant search for higher BC bullets and their performance) For those of us who aren't into the long range hunting and target shooting, the WSM are working just fine! I know that I prefer my 300 WSM over the others, for overall performance (efficiency, accuracy, recoil, on game performance) and have no intention of stepping into the PRC just to shoot heavier bullets out further. I also liked the 270 WSM when I had it. That Remington 700 Boone & Crockett rifle was producing slow velocities from its 26" barrel, and as it was right handed, I didn't keep it long. I didn't shoot it enough, or own it long enough, to see if it would finally break in and produce better velocities.

The one detriment in the beginning for the WSM was the feeding issue, but they quickly figured that out (extra material removed from the magazine follower that allowed that short, fat case to feed at the proper angle to eliminate the binding that was occurring). For some, the feeding issue experienced by the first owners/shooters was enough to keep them away from the WSMs, even after the issue was resolved.

And if I didn't already have the 280 and STW, I would have stepped into the 7mm WSM. And I know DrMike likes his, and it the most accurate of his set of WSMs. (it also has very pretty wood!) Then there is the fact that I have history with the 280 and STW, and the rifles that they are in, so haven't had the desire to get the WSM (or new PRC) as good as they are. I suppose that I could and have just one 7, but where is the fun in that! I do like having the performance range of the 7mm-08 w/ 140s, the 280 Rem w/ 150s, and the 7MM STW w/ 160s! BUt that is just me!

And let us not forget that it was the WSMs that led us down the path to todays PRCs and other short fat cases such as the Western, designed to shoot the longer bullets in the short and long actions without needing even longer actions! (There could be the argument the the 284 Win and PPC cartridges started it long before the WSMs!)

Watching a couple of different hunting shows where the people are using the 6.8 Western, that those hunters are loving the performance they are getting with their 6.8 Westerns in Winchester and Browning factory rifles. They do appear to be working well on game! (Although most hunts filmed have been used at distances that the 270 Win would have worked just as well)

1 thing everyone is forgetting........it's metric, so it's supposed to be better ;) . That's all it takes for the newbies to buy it. If someone comes out with an XM length Insult Rifle (AR), then I'll be good.

Velocity used to be king. The faster and flat shooting a cartridge/bullet combination the easier it was to shoot longer ranges. As range finders became more available sheer velocity wasn’t as important. Characteristics like BC became more and more important. Bullet weights, lengths, and materials started trending longer she sleeker. This brought new challenges for existing cartridge/rifle combinations.

it used to be cartridges were designed and the. Bullets were designed for those cartridges. What we are seeing now is bullets are being designed and cartridges are being designed to work better with those bullets.

Wether needed or redundant there is no denying the performance of these new bullet/cartridge combinations.

Back