6.5 PRC...is no one intrigued?

26NosFan

Handloader
Apr 3, 2015
Being a 6.5 junkie I sure am. 2960 for the 143gr and 2910 for the 147gr. factory loads and these seem to be light as Copper Creek is listing 3050 for the 143gr out of a 24". Hornady's own load data shows it topping out at 3150ish with 140-143 and 3050ish with the 147 out of a 26", still seems light. Finally a modern Short action 6.5 with magnum performance in a factory offering. Yeah ok so maybe it answered a question no one asked but its still cool.

Love my 6.5x55, having a lot of fun with my 6.5 Creedmoor, enjoy the 260 Rem and like the 6.5x284 (was thinking of replacing it with a LH Cooper), but now thinking of going with the PRC instead. Thinking of rebarrelling my 300 WSM.

I really like my 6.5X55 and my 264win mg. I want a 26Nosler or a 6.5X300W to be my next rifle to get. The 6.5PRC is not on my radar..............yet

I think between my 6.5 creed and 6.5 bee I am fully covered

I'm kind in the same spot as Fotis. I have a 6.5Creed and 6.5WSM; kinda got it covered.

Scott

I like the idea, but so far factory rifles are few and far between.

For target shooting I don't know that it brings anything that the Creed and the Swede don't have covered. Who cares about MV and flatter trajectory when you're dialing drop anyway? The PRC just kicks harder and eats barrels a bit faster.

For hunting, it's behind the 26NOS and 6.5WBY and not really that different from a 6.5x284 or a Swede loaded to this century's pressures.

It's sort of neither fish nor fowl. I kind of wonder if it represents the end of the 6.5 craze. I was expecting to see a bunch of factory PRC guns at this year's SHOT...but so far nothing much.

I had some interest in it but then compared it to my fast twist 270 Win and saw it didn't offer much that I didn't already have. The 6.5 PRC would have an edge but only at distances I'm not going to be shooting. The idea sounds good but we are happy with the 270, 260 and 6.5x55 already in the house.

Some valid points. capacity with a 140 class bullet puts it even with the 6.5-06 IN A SHORT ACTION. With factory rifles and factory ammo. I love the design and the capabilities it presents. its the 6.5 Rem Mag reincarnated with a better body this time!

Gun nut":2u2bs2mh said:
Tempting, intriguing,...but I am content with my 6.5x55 Swedes!
Duane

I hear you there. I have a Swede, CM and 264 Win Mag.

To be honest, the one I am waiting for is Dewey's 6.5 Swedemoor... 6.5 Swede Improved with a 40* shoulder. I believe a bunch of folks have been using it and doing 3000+ with H4831 and 140's. That really hits the sweet spot, especially with awesome Lapua brass. I think they are all pretty darned close to one another. Always neat to have new things to work with though.

SJB358":37e8wd0y said:
Gun nut":37e8wd0y said:
Tempting, intriguing,...but I am content with my 6.5x55 Swedes!
Duane

I hear you there. I have a Swede, CM and 264 Win Mag.

To be honest, the one I am waiting for is Dewey's 6.5 Swedemoor... 6.5 Swede Improved with a 40* shoulder. I believe a bunch of folks have been using it and doing 3000+ with H4831 and 140's. That really hits the sweet spot, especially with awesome Lapua brass. I think they are all pretty darned close to one another. Always neat to have new things to work with though.

I have 2 6.5x47's, a 6.5 Creedmoor (with parts to build another), a 6.5 saum, 2 6.5-300wm's (plus parts to build another), and a 6.5x68 Imp. I have no interest in a 6.5PRC :mrgreen: :lol: If I wanted something in the range I'd build another saum because I already have brass and 2 reamers for it.

I love them all but the Swede, 260, creedmoor, lapua, and the 6.5-284 cannot get to 3000 fps with 140+ size pills without really long barrels. The prc will do it in a 24".

6.5-284 will do it pretty easily with R-26. I have a buddy with a 27" Brux barreled 6.5x284 that shoots 140 Bergers over 3100fps with R-26. He had it at 3200 but it was wearing his brass out pretty quick so drop down to the next node. Sure the PRC is shorter and holds more powder but the saum is just more of the same thing. The PRC only has Hornady brass, which isn't known for being very good, and the saum can be formed easily from Remington or Norma 7saum if you don't want to buy it from GAP. ADG already said they intend to make SAUM cases this year too. They will probably make it with the correct headstamp as well, if that matters to anyone. I would only worry about that if I were to go hunting outside the country.

BTW I get 3080fps with my 24" barreled SAUM using H-1000 and it's just idling along. I just don't see the need for another case between a 6.5x284 and a 6.5saum when there isn't a ton of difference between them.

IdahoCTD":34zpachf said:
6.5-284 will do it pretty easily with R-26. I have a buddy with a 27" Brux barreled 6.5x284 that shoots 140 Bergers over 3100fps with R-26. He had it at 3200 but it was wearing his brass out pretty quick so drop down to the next node. Sure the PRC is shorter and holds more powder but the saum is just more of the same thing. The PRC only has Hornady brass, which isn't known for being very good, and the saum can be formed easily from Remington or Norma 7saum if you don't want to buy it from GAP. ADG already said they intend to make SAUM cases this year too. They will probably make it with the correct headstamp as well, if that matters to anyone. I would only worry about that if I were to go hunting outside the country.

BTW I get 3080fps with my 24" barreled SAUM using H-1000 and it's just idling along. I just don't see the need for another case between a 6.5x284 and a 6.5saum when there isn't a ton of difference between them.

+1

I've got a 260 AI and a 264 Win mag w a 28 inch barrel so nope, don't trip my switch at all.
Neither does the Grendel or the Creed.

Having one built right now, let you know how it goes. Been eyeing the gap cartridge for a while, I like that there is a factory option with the prc. I also have a creed and love it, Im thinking the prc will give me a little more azz for hunting applications...

Back