6.5 Creedmore

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Finally started playing with my Begara. 129 grain ABLR
39 grains RL15; 2852; SD14, .143 off the lands(used Nosler's col).
Fired the group without studying which round went where.
The wind picked up so I fired the rest of what I had at the 200 yard steel plate.IMG_0860.JPG
My instinct however is #2&4 are the low ones.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent thought, I recall now that you mention it, I didn't focus on my breathing.

In any case, I've done a lot worse and would accept your results for a hunting load if I couldn't close them up some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like a promising start. My 280 shoots Accubonds well at .050" off the lands, so maybe play with OAL a bit. Give us a review and pics of your Bergara at some point. They look like nice rifles at a good price.

If you have time and want to work up a good hunting load shoot 1 shot groups ,let barrel cool down between shots then move on to 5 shots .I will take precise over accurate any day .

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Looks pretty good and another idea to push them ABLR's back off the rifling. That is pretty danged good speed..

Might have to give them a shot in my Swede soon..

Salmon chaser, how long is your barrel. My wifes WBY Camilla with 44g of RL17 goes 2830fps with a 20 inch barrel. Federal brass F210 primer, 129g ABLR., oal 2.750. Shoots this load 1/2 inch or better.

Bbl is 22 inches. I kinda think my form may have suffered, I haven't shot of the bench in quite a while. I am going to try some 17 as well as backing off the lands a little.
Bought the rifle as a trainer if you will. I'd really like to get shooting within an inch or two of the Jarrett and my 06 out to about 400 yards. 20 rounds of 6.5 on the plate at 400 yards is a lot more fun than 20 rounds out of a 338 Jarrett.

On the 6.5 Creedmoor that I sold recently was shooting great with H4350 and RL 17, as 69gto suggested, you should give RL 17 a try, it pushes it pretty fast. My barrel was a 30.5 inch and it was clocking at 3100 fps with Hybrid 100V with 130 VLD. Most loads of various powders were .3 -.5 MOA , a few as low as .2 MOA.

The 6.5 Creedmoor should be getting better groupings then 2 MOA. I think you need to focus on a better load. You need to find the optimal charge weight , then the seating depth. Was this shot at 200 yards or 100? Also, you need to get your SD to a single digit , especially if you are going to shoot at distance

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Guy, it was shot at 100 yards. The squares on the target are 1/2 MOA, it's shooting just a touch over one MOA.
I picked up some RL17 will give that a try in the coming week.
Overall my impression of the Begara is favorable. Two boxes of ammo, Vortex scope and the rifle for 800.00. Reasonable accuracy and comfortable to carry.

RL-17 with a 129gn Hornady SST is a great combination in my 6.5 Creedmoor. It thumps a 20" gong at 1,000 yards and is a regular hunting rifle that happens to be smokin accurate.

Back