6.5 creedmoor bullit weight

freddogs

Beginner
Apr 1, 2012
I went out and bought a Ruger American rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I scoped it out and bought 4 boxes of ammo for it. I've taken it to the range and sighted it in and was happy to see it would shoot better than an inch group at a hundred yds. Took it out again and shot it at 300 and it shot good (for me). Now I want to reload for it and wondered what bullet weight others may suggest shooting.

I like the 129gr ABLR. It's a good mix of high BC and speed. I get 2950fps witha an accurate load. The 140's go about 2800 or a little less. When you get to powder selection try RL17; it's been my Huckleberry.

Scott

I do dig that little 6.5 CM... Seems like a winner with the 123/130 grain bullets. Even the factory ammo seems amazing.

Thanks, I've used the AB's in my 30-06 and liked their performance on game. Now I need to get some dies and put in some range time. I'm working on some loads for 7X57. Been prepping cases tonight.

In my 260 I am using a bunch of different 129's and 130's such as the 129 gr ABLR, 130 gr AccuBond, 129 gr Hornady and for this year trying the 130 gr Sierra HPBT. I used to use 140's exclusively but found the lighter bullets can be moved a fair bit faster and shoot a bit flatter. In my Wife's 6.5x55 we use the 120 gr Ballistic Tip for deer and the 140 gr Partition for everything else although it also works well for deer too. Your Creedmoor will be very similar in performance to those two rounds.

Since I plan on sticking to 140 gr bullets for hunting in my 6.5 x 55, and 142 gr match bullets in my 260 for target and silhouette, I plan on using 129/130 gr bullets in my 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting. Although it will ultimately depend on the bullet and load that the rifle prefers. Time will tell. And isn't that part of the fun!

I've got a ruger American predator in 6.5 creedmoor also, and it was a shooter right out of the box! I only had 140 grain Sierra game king, and 120 grain ballistic tips to start out with last deer season. Here were the loads that worked in mine. *pretty sure the 140 grain is a bit over max in the Hornady book so work up*

140 grain Seirra Gameking
41.5 GR H4350
QAL: 2.810
Avg Vel: 2631 fps
Avg group: 0.621

120 grain Nos BT
44.5 GR H4350
QAL: 2.775
Avg Vel: 2829 fps
Avg group: 0.610

These loads were full length sized, also tried neck sizing and both loads went a little under 1/2" only having 22" barrel hurts the velocity a little. Reloader 17 is suppose to be a winner in the creedmoor for velocity, I have not tried it yet though. I was perfectly happy with the performance on deer last season though with the 140 Gameking load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not been able to find any of the ramshot powders in my area. But have heard Hunter is a great powder. If I ever find some I'm gonna buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was the bullet weight of the factory ammo you used?
My 6.5 Creedmoor loves the 129 Hornady SST over 43gn of RL-17, the 130 Swift Scirocco IIs over 46.5gn of Superformance, and the 140gn Hornady SST with 41.5gn of H-4350 or 44gn of Superformance. All of those loads are sub-1" shooters at 100 yards.

The 129 SSTs were half-MOA groups at 600 yards (from a bipod).

The Swift Scirocco IIs brought down deer at 378 and 388 yards. Two shots, two deer down in less than 30 seconds.

My rifle is a hunting one with pretty decent paper target accuracy. Results my vary, so practice a lot and be patient with your shot timing. Don't get the barrel hot to the touch.

Horsethief":r8azttrp said:
What was the bullet weight of the factory ammo you used?
My 6.5 Creedmoor loves the 129 Hornady SST over 43gn of RL-17, the 130 Swift Scirocco IIs over 46.5gn of Superformance, and the 140gn Hornady SST with 41.5gn of H-4350 or 44gn of Superformance. All of those loads are sub-1" shooters at 100 yards.

The 129 SSTs were half-MOA groups at 600 yards (from a bipod).

The Swift Scirocco IIs brought down deer at 378 and 388 yards. Two shots, two deer down in less than 30 seconds.

My rifle is a hunting one with pretty decent paper target accuracy. Results my vary, so practice a lot and be patient with your shot timing. Don't get the barrel hot to the touch.

What kind of velocity are you getting out of the Scirocco loads?

I used 140 gr ELD Match Hornady and Hornady Whitetail 129 gr Interlock. Both seemed to work well. I just tried Hornady so all my cases would be the same when I start reloading. I haven't set up dies yet. I need to go to the range and get more empty cases.

Back