55 grain BT in 8 Twist .243

Soup

Beginner
Aug 11, 2022
Folks ,
Wondering is anyone is loading 6mm Nosler 55 grain pills in an 8 twist .243?
I've got a bunch of them and the FB Varmegdedons.
Could you get any accuracy?
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Semper Fidelis.
Soup

"Down South 66-68"

Can't see you having any issues with the Ballistic Tips and it's very unlikely the Varmageddon will either. If you have the gun already I would give it a try.

Thank you for your reply.
Have you ever used them?
Soup

Not that exact combination but you never hear about the Ballistic Tips coming apart in flight. For accuracy I think you have a good chance to find a good load. I know a guy who shot a nice Mulie with the 55 gr BT out of a 243.

Closest combo I used was the 55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips from a 1:9 twist 6mm Remington. I was trying to reach that awesome 4,000 fps promised in the manuals, but had only a well-worn 22" Remington factory barrel and fell a bit short in velocity. Accuracy was "okay" but not as good as the rifle has done with 75, 95 and 100 gr bullets. Sorry for a lack of specifics, but this was quite a few years ago. I may have my notes around somewhere still. Believe I may still have a box or two of those bullets as well.

I do remember it being spectacularly effective on rockchucks though. :)

Guy

Thank you for your replies.
I'm not looking for speed, actually prefer slower speeds.
Accuracy is my goal.
Soup

I could not get them to group well in my 8 twist 6mmBR. I suspect that it is just gun specific and they will shoot fine in a different 8 twist rifle.

I've got some that I'd sell if you are interested.

Back