54987 for the .270

ROVERT

Handloader
Jun 18, 2011
The velocities I was getting scared me off of the 130 Ballistic Tips, so here is plan B:

DSC09574.JPG

If these don't shoot for me, I'll try Partitions.

The 130 grain AB is an excellent choice for use in the 270 Win. And RL22 is a fine powder for that particular bullet.

hubcap":2wng33cj said:
Is there any details to go along with that real nice photo ? :?:

I developed a load for my M70 using 130 NBTs and RL22. The load is very accurate, but the RL22 is pushing them just over 3200 fps which worried me a bit because very close shots are always a good possibility. Although I typically load heavy for caliber bullets, I've decided to stick with 130's in this rifle, for now at least. This prompted me to go with the AccuBond. Hopefully I can find the same accuracy with this bullet. This rifle will be first up to bat next season and, while there is plenty of time, I'm anxious to come up with a load I have confidence in.

I prefer the 140gr NAB for my .270 but I'm certain the 130gr will work great. I push the 140's at ~2900 fps and haven't recovered any from the dozen or so deer, one moose and black bear I've taken with this round.

The AB will perform well even at muzzle velocities. You are correct that the BT would likely fragment at the higher velocities. You shouldn't have great difficulty finding a load that will satisfy you.

unless your hunting really big game with the 270, I wouldn't worry about a BT at under 3200. will expand more than normal but should be an ok load. I once smacked a 200# bear with a 7mm 140 BT at 60 yards with a MV of 3550, on the onside shoulder and it exited.
RR

That 130 AB with your load should be a screamer Trevor. At least you will not have any worries whether near or far.. I wouldn't be surprised if the same load works for you...

I got to the range yesterday with this load. The good news is that it shoots to the same POI as the Ballistic Tips. The bad news is it doesn't do it with quite the same level of accuracy.

DSC09606.JPG

DSC09605.JPG

I'm going to mess with the seating depth first and then maybe the charge a little if necessary and we'll see what happens. Those are groups very similar to what I was seeing with the Ballistic Tips during load development, so I'm fairly confident that I can shrink things down quite a bit.

Both of those targets appear to read "130 NAB" - how did the Ballistic Tips shoot in comparison?

Or were those the Ballistic Tip targets?

I think that messing with the seating depth is a good step at this point - you'll likely be able to tighten up the groups a bit although what I see on paper is good enough for most hunting!

This is with the Model 70?

Guy Miner":2360cpos said:
Both of those targets appear to read "130 NAB" - how did the Ballistic Tips shoot in comparison?

Or were those the Ballistic Tip targets?

I think that messing with the seating depth is a good step at this point - you'll likely be able to tighten up the groups a bit although what I see on paper is good enough for most hunting!

Which rifle are you working with?

Both targets are with the Accubonds. The Ballistic Tips were shooting some pretty good groups, getting very close to being an honest 3/4 MOA load. The rifle is an M70 Super Grade (FN). You are very correct that those groups are good enough, but I'm aware of what the rifle is capable of, so I'll be unable to settle for groups like that with this one.

Man, that's a great combination! A .270 Supergrade, shooting Noslers into 3/4" groups... Sweet.

It will be good if you can get the Accubonds to shoot as well.

Trevor, I would for SURE mess with the seating depth a little. I really think you have it. Shorten them a little at a time and I don't think you will have to mess with your powder charge. Those are looking pretty good. Seems like my AB's like a little jump anyhow. Could be just me though? :roll:

The AccuBond is a good bullet but you don't need to be afraid of the Ballistic Tip at 3200 fps muzzle velocity. I have shot a number of deer with the 130 Ballistic Tip even as close as 25 yards at about that velocity, 3170 fps average with 60 grs H-4831 24" barrel. Typical reaction to any deer shot in the front shoulder with this bullet at almost any range is BANG FLOP. I did go to the 130gr AccuBond in my 264 win mag instead of using the 120 Ballistic Tip. The 120 BT was doing a touch over 3600 fps and I get 3350 fps with the AB. The AB works great so far on the 6 deer I have shot with it. One as close as 80 yards. All deer were DRT. One was shot at 111 yards almost facing me. Bullet entered edge of left shoulder smashing it and making soup of the vitals. Bullet was found in the right ham while processing. Text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs.

Play with the seating depth of that AB. My 264 WM shoot best at 10 thousands off the lands.

I appreciate the vote of confidence for the BT, but I'm just not sure I could have complete confidence in it. I know they'll work in the vast majority of situations, I'll just feel better with the ABs.

I loaded up some loads at varying seating depths. 3.305", 3.320", and 3.355" (the original loads were 3.340").

DSC09609.JPG

We'll see what happens when I get back to the range, hopefully on Saturday.

ROVERT":2bawzd4h said:
I appreciate the vote of confidence for the BT, but I'm just not sure I could have complete confidence in it. I know they'll work in the vast majority of situations, I'll just feel better with the ABs.

I loaded up some loads at varying seating depths. 3.305", 3.320", and 3.355" (the original loads were 3.340").

DSC09609.JPG

We'll see what happens when I get back to the range, hopefully on Saturday.

I think you'll find something Trevor. I would be wary like you with BTs at those speeds as well. A little surprised you don't load 4 though. I hate getting to the range and whiffing a shot. Loading four allows me to redeem myself, sometimes! Good luck buddy. Hope you find that load.

Loading four allows me to redeem myself, sometimes!

Good advice, there. Trevor, you are moving in the right direction. Those are decent groups that can only get tighter as you find the proper seating depth.

DrMike":60qq429y said:
Loading four allows me to redeem myself, sometimes!

Good advice, there. Trevor, you are moving in the right direction. Those are decent groups that can only get tighter as you find the proper seating depth.

I learned it from a bunch of old fellers! :twisted:

Back