.452 200gr SWC for deer

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Has anyone poked a deer with a 200gr SWC in a 45ACP at reasonable distance, say 40 yds or under and how did it do? Curious if it would somewhat, not entirely compare to a flat nose Keith style bullet known for penetration? Thinking if placed behind the shoulder, thru the ribs it should bore a hole thru the lungs ok. Dan.

Roger,

Not the same bullets but I did shoot a buck with my Kimber 45. It was wounded and I was on the blood trail when I walked up on him around 30 yards. I shot twice, hitting him both times in the front shoulder and he went down. Both Federal 230 gr HST slugs went through both shoulders and exited. I was surprised with the penetration.

JD338

No experience, so please forgive my blatant speculation, but I see no reason there would be any issues. I mean, a few factors, no? Bullet hardness, velocity, etc. But, I mean, people have and do kill deer with lead bullets from handguns. I don't see any reason why a 200gr SWC from a 45 ACP would be much different than a 200 grain bullet from a 45 Colt, or a 44 Special. If there is any place I think you are going wrong, it's in you proposed bullet placement - I'd deliberately attempt a shoulder shot. My concern is that a modest velocity, no-(or minimally)-expanding projectile, would not engender itself to a swift stop of the animal in question. Again, though, all this is speculation, and I yield to anyone with more experience.

I still remember an old Finn Aagaard story about hunting wild hogs with his 45 ACP 1911 and 200 grain cast semi-wadcutters. He was pleased with the penetration and lethality of that bullet & cartridge.

As a cop I had to kill several deer with my 1911, but always just used the 230 grain Federal JHP's. Hydra-Shock ammo at first and later a bonded 230 grain JHP. They worked well.

Guy

I have killed groundhogs with 230gr Military Ball ammo but never shot anything but target with the 200 gr SWC that I cast or the commercial cast bullets that I bought.
Target loads are right around 750fps with a 200 gr SWC and factory 230gr ball was loaded to 850fps. If I were to hunt with the 200gr SWC I would want it to be running close to 900fps and to be able to keep that load in a maximum of a 6" group at 50yds. in a hunting situation. My 45s have to shoot 1.5" at 50 yds from a rest and I would not use an off the self .45acp that wouldn't group with in 3" at 50yds. so I could stay within the marginal humane kill zone using a handgun.
A Les Bare Premier II with a 1.5 " accuracy guaranty at 50yds is what I would recommend for a factory 1911 45acp. Not because it's a Les Bare but because of the accuracy guaranty. There are others that will shoot as good, but they would likely cost more. The tactical style guns are just that tactical for close range defense and I would avoid them for hunting.
Just a little extra info on my experience with the .45apc, with my handloads running close to 750fps the 200gr SWC will retain velocity better than a lighter bullet say 185gr and the point of impact is close to a .22lr at 50yds from a handgun. We do use 185gr JHP loads for the 50yd line, but they are loaded hotter than the 200gr SWC. My loads in my pistols sighted in at 25yds is only 3" low at 50yds and are 3" high at 25yds. One would think that the point of impact would be lower with the lower velocity of these loads but don't count on it, the heavier bullets retain velocity better.
For me I would probably go with a 225gr or 230gr SWC or truncated style bullet just to have the extra weight for penetration.
Run some into jugs at 25yds and see what kind of penetration you get, then try some at 50yds.
Also, I would practice more than usual in an area similar to what I would be hunting in.
I attached a picture of my primary 45 1911 which is a Springfield Armory custom shop 1911 that was built for target shooting by Les Bare when he was in charge on the shop at Springfield Armory and has target grips installed for offhand shooting. It has been tweaked and tuned by some of the best pistols Smiths since I first started shooting it and is now out for a tune up and new barrel after 100,000 rounds down range in the factory barrel.
I don't work for Bare or Springfield Armory and the pistol was the best I could afford at the time I bought it. It has been modified from the original factory pistol.

Attachments

• KIMG0056.jpeg
    KIMG0056.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 2
All good info and appreciate it. Some of my thinking about bullet placement thru the ribs has to do with using round balls in traditional muzzle loader rifles and seeing the results. Not bad mind you as I liked using them just different results from shot placement using different calibers, ball wt, as in modern centerfire. More bullet weight-mass has better results down range for sure and practice is very important as well. At some point I might attempt to kill a deer with my 45 ACP but it will be done at close range with the best position of shot possible or none taken. Dan.

Back