44 mag 300 nosler

RMiller

Beginner
Sep 29, 2004
Anyone load these in a 44 magnum?

I am not getting anywhere near max loads before the cases start to buldge because of overcompressing the powder. I can not seem to find any load data just for this bullet.

Actually I just loaded a 300 nosler without powder and it still got stuck in the die. So it is the bullet case combo and not the powder that is bulgeing the case.

I loaded a 300 sierra in a case and it went it like it is supposed to without even sticking at all.

But if I seat the sierra deaper it get stuck too. Arrrrggg I need a shorter O.A.L. for a taurus tracker.

Guess I need a medium weight hardcast. These will be loaded for bear.

Try the 250 gr PT with a MAX load of 21.0 grs H110.

JD338

Interesting differences between the 300 Sierra and the 300 Nosler eh? :grin:

I've loaded both, as well as many 300 gr cast bullets. The 300 Nosler gets loaded to the same overall length as my standard 240 & 250 grain loads. The 300 Sierra sticks out there, looking pretty wild - making the .44 look almost like a different cartridge. Both are good bullets and have worked fine in the Ruger and S&W revolvers I've used them in. Sometimes it takes a little playing around with the dies to get everything setup right.

Good luck w/the project - and yeah - if they just won't work, a good 250 is hard to beat too.

Regards, Guy

I've only loaded the Hornady 300gr XTP bullet but have never had a problem with OAL or case capacity. I normally use amax load of H110 or Win 296.

Charlie - I was trying to remember if I'd ever loaded the 300 XTP... I know a favorite .44 load was the 240 XTP over near max charge of H110... Good stuff.

But I can't remember if I ever got around to trying the 300 XTP or not. Nosler's 300 sure worked fine and shot well though.

Sierra's is a very different bullet, with the cannelure (spelling?) placed lower on the bullet, so that it's seated well out of the case. Very interesting. Very accurate for me too.

Regards, Guy

The Hornady XTP has 2 cannelures (sp) so you can set the bullet deep when necessary or load long to increase case capacity when using firearms that are not as lenth restrictive.

I shoot the 300gr XTP in a Ruger Deerfield carbine and a Ruger SRH. Shoots great in both. However, you need a taller front sight on the SRH when using this bullet. If not, bullet impact is high @ 50 yds.

I use the Speer 300gr Uni-Core's over 20gr H110 in my Tracker while in bear country. The Uni-Core's have two crimping grooves, the top one will keep the OAL short enough for the Tracker but is very small and a PITA to crimp into. I ended up buying a Lee crimp die for ~$14.00 because I crushed a few cases crimping the Uni-Core's with the RCBS die. The Lee crimping die is very forgiving and worth a try IMO.

Good Luck

20gr of H110.... work up to it!

1200 fps or so!

I used the sierra a long time ago in a LLama Super Comanche.

My max load was 22.8 grains of 296.

----

I used 19 grains of H110 with a 293 hardcast in my 4 5/8 41 magnum blackhawk for 1275 fps.

--

I may try the speer uni-core next.

I picked the 300 nosler partly because they are 22.99 a box of 100.

The next lowest price 44 bullets of any weight are 25.99 per 100.

I've been using the 240 grn JHP Nosler bullets from the Shooter's Pro Shop for 34.99 per 250 count box. They shoot well with 23.0 grns of H110 out of a 44 Rem Mag Henry Big Boy. I could load up to 23.8 grns, but I haven't been using to hunt, just plink and shoot varmints or pests like porcupines and skunks. Makes about a 1.5-2" wound channel through those size of animals. They just kinda wilt when ya hit'em.

CC

i just dug through my accumulated reloading gear, to start loading the 44 mag. found a 4 die set, shell holder, 700 federal 155 primers, 1 lb of h110, 1lb of h4227, the gun came with 100 240gr noslers and 100 300gr noslers and i dug through all my brass, came up with 2 empties. so i set the dies and did my 2 cases with a max load of h110 and 300gr noslers. they turned out perfect. no powder commpression. just a perfect fit

Back