.360 Buckhammer

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Anyone heard of this new levergun cartridge?

Supposedly a .30-30 case straightened out to take .358 bullets!!!

I’m excited.

Attachments

• FDA54A4C-5409-4D0F-9B58-991555E4BA83.png
    FDA54A4C-5409-4D0F-9B58-991555E4BA83.png
    620.7 KB · Views: 17
Interesting, but the .356 Winchester ain't exactly setting the world on fire.

I wonder why Remington is messing around with levergun cartridges. But I guess Remington guns and Remington ammo aren't the same company any more.

Well I haven’t read ballistics on this cartridge yet but cannot wait to read all about it. I’m not one to get excited for every “15-minute wonder” cartridge that comes out but .35 cal cartridges have always been a red-headed stepchild in the USA. Would love to see one that could fling 200-250 grain bullets and be popular enough to take off.

Interesting. I'm thinking that it's tied to Remington owning Marlin. Good point in competing with the 350 Legend, if so, they missed the mark as the Legend oal was designed to meet hunting zone regulations for densely populated areas.
I don't know, time and effort would have been better spent on primers

JD338

Interesting. I'm thinking that it's tied to Remington owning Marlin. Good point in competing with the 350 Legend, if so, they missed the mark as the Legend oal was designed to meet hunting zone regulations for densely populated areas.
I don't know, time and effort would have been better spent on primers

JD338
Wait, I'm confused. I thought Ruger owned Marlin? Did the same group that owns Ruger buy Remington's ammo division?

If I remember correctly there was a TC Contender barrel maker who had Bull Berry chamberings for the TC Contender.
These were wildcat cartridges based off the 30-30 and one of those was the .35 Bull Berry, a 30-30 neck up and blown out to take the .35 cal bullets and had similar balistics as the 35 Rem.
Don't know if this is one of those renditions or not but could be since Remington use to make wild cats a standard cartridge for new chamberings in their rifles.

They didn’t learn much from bankruptcy , lets tool up a cartridge for a handful of people.
“Primers man” lets focus on this.

Thanks for the correction fellas. I forgot Ruger bought Marlin from Remington/Vista.

JD338

I’m excited.

I’m excited.

I’m excited.
The first time this was done it was called the 38-55. Older than the 30/30 black powder cartridge. The second Time it was done by Winchester in the late 70’s early 80’s for the model 94 Big Bore it was called the 375 Winchester. I made both cases from 30/30 by running A Lee .375 expander in a lee universal de-priming die. Then run it through the 375 Winchester die. Old news they should just crank out the new Ruger built marlins and the Henry’s in 375 Winchester.

30/30 was one of the first smokeless cartridges. Still measured in the black powder method. 30 caliber 30 grains of smokeless powder. 38-55 was an older black powder round 38 caliber 55 grains of black powder.

It’s even weaker than the 375 Winchester wow! What a huge advancement! LOL The use of flimsy pistol bullets will give it a bad name for lack of penetration same as the 444 marlin. But cheaper for plunking I guess.

Attachments

• 9FBB580D-89AB-4863-A7B9-F9D05B07FC45.jpeg
    9FBB580D-89AB-4863-A7B9-F9D05B07FC45.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 0B6F7C7C-B542-4CF7-B4B2-4D8AE7C0593F.jpeg
    0B6F7C7C-B542-4CF7-B4B2-4D8AE7C0593F.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 6
I guess if you’re in a state with straight wall restrictions more choices is a good thing, and it’ll probably develop a following…I do think the name is kinda of goofy. Why not 360 SW (straight wall)

There's another thread on this here:

Basically, the cartridge is aimed at deer hunters in the eastern and Midwest states which are straightwall-only. Intended to compete with the 350 Legend, but for the lever gun crowd. Henry will be releasing a rifle in this caliber around the March/April timeframe.

There's another thread on this here:

Basically, the cartridge is aimed at deer hunters in the eastern and Midwest states which are straightwall-only. Intended to compete with the 350 Legend, but for the lever gun crowd. Henry will be releasing a rifle in this caliber around the March/April timeframe.
More importantly is the fact that the case is 1.800" which is the restriction in many states for straight wall cartridges.

JD338

Back