.358" 250 Speer HotCor

ROVERT

Handloader
Jun 18, 2011
250 Speer HC @ 2580 fps: 171.3 gr retained (68.5%), expanded to .599", recovered in 7th jug (and darned near made it into the 8th).
DSC09918.JPG

DSC09917.JPG

I guess there's not too much to say about this one. It seems to transfer plenty of energy and penetrates very very well. There's not too much there not to like.

I think it is worth noting that my results are almost exactly the same as wvchevy3's a thread or two down.

The Hot Cor bullets have always delivered for me. They are not sexy or exciting; they just perform. That is especially true in the heavy calibres.

Great work Trevor. Your right, the results speak for themselves. Pretty premium if you ask me...

Jamison's favorite slug for the 350 Rem mag! What a hammer!

They do seem to perform very consistantly, one of the better 35 cal bullets out there. Thanks for posting.

Looks good. Reminds me of the results I got with the .375" 235 gr Speer Hot Core.

I seem to remember reading some stories long ago about a fellow taking big grizzlies and Alaskan brownies with the .358" 250 gr Speer Hot Core.

Everything you hear about the big Hot Cors seems to be good. I may have to stock up on them as the Hot Cor is said to be on its way out in favor of the Deep Curl. I don't think they're making the Deep Curl in .358" though, so maybe the Hot Cors will be around a while?

That is a heavy hitter load. Excellent bullet performance.

JD338

I was going to try some Barnes 225 TSX in my 350 RM. But as I was looking at this and knowing that my Rem 673 gets right at 2500 FPS with this bullet and shoots very well, I decided why change what I have.

Thanks for the bullet test.

Eric

Eric, that 250 Speer works identically for me as the 250 PT. Really can't find anything to not like about that 250 Speer.. It is very accurate in my Whelen.

Ordered a box of these from the yearly pre buy sale my favorite sporting goods store has, can't wait to try them out this spring to see what the new 35 Whelen will do with them :) They certainly perform very well at 35 Whelen speeds.

I love the Speer Hot-Cor line. Hated to see them disappear from many of my favorite caliber lines. I understand the Deep Curl is both a good bullet and cheaper to produce, but those Hot-Cors are accurate and tougher than they have a right to be. They are really one of the precursors to the bonded core, as there is some adhesion between the core and jacket, though not a true welded bond. I know they shoot like a house afire for me. I'm liking the performance I got from a 220gr Speer Flat Point out of my 350RemMag earlier this year, as well. It was just on a coyote, but it dumped him in his tracks at 60yds, hitting him broadside while he was loping along about one third speed. He was dead before he hit the ground.

That looks great and penetration is superb. I really can't see where there's a lack of bullets for this caliber. There's not many but they all seem to work great. From 35Rem to 358 Norma, there are several solid choices which leave little to be desired. Maybe more heavy, high BC choices for the Norma? Not enough guns chambered in that to drive production though.

Thanks for the tests and results. I have a mess of these just waiting.

My Remington 673 seems to like the Speer bullets also. Shot this today. Chrono clocked right at 2500 FPS.

Should do the job for spring black bear.

1361916558_zps7ba13e76.jpg

That will do nicely for spring bear and a lot of other stuff too, looks to be about a 3/4" group.

That is a SWEET load Eric! Yeah, I would say it'll hammer bears or elk this Fall..

The hotcore has always performed well for me. I really like their ability to hold together at high speed. I have only recovered one of them and it was a perfect mushroom. They shoot well for me, no complaints here.

The same day , I was shooting the 350 RM, my Rem 700 XCR in 280 essentially one hole a trio of 160 gr AB.

Left me thinking, why do I need any other rifles?........what a nightmare moment that was

Orchemo - I've come away from a good, satisfying range session, or a successful hunting trip, thinking pretty much the same thing... One or two good hunting rifles and a .22 rifle would do quite nicely...

Then I go buy something else, unnecessary, but usually fun! :grin:

Guy

Back