35 Whelen article

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
The April edition of Handloader magazine has a nice article on our beloved 35 Whelen by Brian Pearce.

(Mods, if this has already been posted, feel free to delete. I checked but couldn't find a previous posting but might have overlooked it.)

Ron

The 35 Whelen is a great round. Its always good to read about the merits of the 35 Whelen.

JD338

I can't find Handloader on the self. Most of the stores around here have stopped selling gun mags due to all the liberal bull crap but they sell mags on muscle building and food supplements( steroid use).

TD. It's a recent copy so you should be able to order it as a back issue from Wolfe. It's the April 2014 #289 issue. Not a bad article and a fair amount of load data.
Paul B.

You can't read too many articles on the 35 Whelen :wink: it is a great calibre!!
Thank you for the info.

Blessings,
Dan

The article is certainly worth the read. Pearce does a good job and has some good info.

sask boy":23h1yuau said:
You can't read too many articles on the 35 Whelen :wink: it is a great calibre!!
Thank you for the info.

Blessings,
Dan

I am with Dan here. Always a pleasure to read about the Whelen. It is one of the cartridges that is truly a good one that works as the old Colonel intended. 375 like power in a regular rifle!

SJB358":13o72o1j said:
sask boy":13o72o1j said:
Thank you for the info.

Blessings,
Dan

I am with Dan here. Always a pleasure to read about the Whelen. It is one of the cartridges that is truly a good one that works as the old Colonel intended. 375 like power in a regular rifle!
Ya I like the the ballistics on the old 35.

truck driver":2ijb5412 said:
Ya I like the the ballistics on the old 35.

I haven't met many animals that would have taxed mine too awfully much either..

I wonder what the Colonel would say if he could use the powders & bullets that we have today 8).

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":33n9qrug said:
I wonder what the Colonel would say if he could use the powders & bullets that we have today 8).

Blessings,
Dan

I think he probably would smile broadly after getting over his initial shock. I also think he would be impressed with the consistent performance many on this forum and otherwise seem to have gotten from the AccuBond bullets on living animals of significant size as well as vicious water jugs.

I realize nothing is perfect, but I haven't heard of any failures on critters regarding the Whelen. I'm sure some have occurred, as with any cartridge, if the shooter made a poor decision/shot. Still, not seeing/hearing many leads me to suspect there might not be a tremendous number.

Ron

sask boy":33ogohbz said:

Blessings,
Dan

I bet he would still think it was the best use of the 30-06 case! :lol:

SJB358":136r85xt said:
sask boy":136r85xt said:

Blessings,
Dan

I bet he would still think it was the best use of the 30-06 case! :lol:
Hmmmm! No I won't bite on that one.

Rodger that kinda stuff never stopped you before my friend :shock:. I am just kidding, but you can sure make some really great calibres off the 06 case!

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":35l72z6u said:
Rodger that kinda stuff never stopped you before my friend :shock:. I am just kidding, but you can sure make some really great calibres off the 06 case!

Blessings,
Dan
I've got other things on my mind right now. But in reality I'm think the 9.3X62 is the parent case for all the spin offs including the 06. :grin:

Rodger, I believe you are right. But it is fun to poke the ribs of the 06 people :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back