35 Whelen 220 Hammers PP2000

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Been monkeying around with these that old Preacher traded me for back a few years ago.

Gotta play around a bit with these a bit but I feel pretty good with these right outta the gate.

They look good and the velocity is close to what I get with 225gr PT in my 35 AI.
I have never tried PP2000 and would like to try some if I could find it locally and won't pay hazmat shipping.

I think PP2000 and CFE223 are about the same. At least what I’m seeing from a few fellas. I know that is plenty of comeback in a 7 1/2lb rifle.

Looks like a combo with some real good potential. A little surprised how linear the ladder is per 0.5gn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotty one of the things I noticed right off with my 35 AI is the felt recoil wasn't as bad as what I experienced with the standard 35 Whelen in my Remington Classic when I had it.
Though I don't load it to max I do load it to 62kpsi and have gone to 64kpsi when testing but have found I don't need the extra 2kpsi and have seen one hole groups out of it at 100yds.
I also have never tried mono metal bullets after seeing the penetration I get out of lead core bullets.

I settled on CFE223 after Dewy ran some predictions for me and adjusted QL to match what I was getting out of it for velocity. I owe him a lot for all the help and hard work he put in to help me develop the loads I have for it.
I miss talking with him on the forum and the last email I got from him he said his job was keeping him busy.

Oooo! Thank you Scotty for posting this!

You know how to make a man’s heart pitter-patter!

Your velocities are perfect too.
That’s a lot of horse power going down range with those loads!

Hawk

That's a fierce looking bullet with some velocity. Should be a real thumber on both ends. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":6h8hivld said:
That's a fierce looking bullet with some velocity. Should be a real thumber on both ends. Dan.

Boy you aren’t kidding!

Impressive performance. Turns the Whelen into a 400-500 yard elk thumper.

JD338

Yeah I'm starting to really fall in love with them hammers. I definitely have to order some of these also for my 35 Whelan. Scotty you look like you're about to catch the hammer bug too. Lol

I have used Hammers in a few rifles. Most like them, a couple do not.

Last week I set up load development for a 300 Weatherby. My problem is that all the groups were so small that it's tough to choose a load! :grin:

The best ones are going to be retested at 200 yards this week, and then I'm ready for the moose hunt.

Scotty you got a lot of major horsepower loads worked up for a good many rifles, that also shoot well. This is another one. For elk or zombies, you aint playing. Ha. Good work. (y)

I believe when I get a chance I'll run them into jugs, just to see. From what I hear they're not shy on expansion by any stretch.

They do not need to be crimped. Might not hurt, but nothing I have loaded has been crimped.

Another bonus is they're available. Most all/any of them will be in your mail box in a week.

Availability is a twofold matter: presence and price. But, that said, I think it'd be worth the investment if the performance was there.

Back