35 Newton 225 AB 2900FPS

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Here are a couple 225 AB's I recovered from the dirt and rocks behind my 200 yard target. Bullet took alot of abuse but still seems relatively intact for the backstop it encountered.

Dirt bank grabs..

Those definitely take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. They look good, Scotty. I imagine they'll do for about anything in North America.

Boy that's some tough ballistic media to shoot into and still find that much bullet left. They are one tough bullet.

That's good to see. They are what I'm going to run in Oct in Colorado, just a bit slower. Hopefully this year we will get a chance. Scotty, if your going west this year, is the newton going for the ride or you going to stick to your 338?

Bill I will take both rifles. I went without a backup last year but having both gives me a little more comfort in case something happens.

Those 225's AB will get it done. I'm trying to catch one in jugs but they keep slipping out on me.

The best 35 cal bullet out there in my opinion, it works on anything big or small. The moose in my avatar can attest to that :)

gerry, I agree 100% with you on the 225gr ABs they are just about indestructible and in Scotty's Newton they are almost 200fps faster than my Whelen it will be like getting hit with Thor's Hammer :mrgreen:!
I can't wait to hear Scotty's report this fall after knocking down a big bull with one. Of course we will need photos for verification :wink:. I am just kidding Scotty.

Blessings,
Dan

Good show Scotty.
Those 225 gr AB's will put the smack on a big bull.

JD338

Okay, this bullet bounced hard enough off the 6th jugs to puncture the front of the 7th, but it couldn't quite bust through. These was shot at about 15 ft from the muzzle, so its about the harshest you can throw on this bullet and it came out looking, well, just like all the other AB's and PT's! :lol:

It retained 150.2 grains and expanded to a .690" frontal area. Still some good shank left for a 225 grain bullet. This bullet blows over my chrono screens at 2960FPS, so it is getting downrange pretty quick. Should make for an awesome combo.

All in all, the accuracy is very good with this load. I cranked three out at around 1.4" at 200 yards to verify the load and then shot the jugs. Very happy with this performance it should really put some swat on those pesky darned elk! HA!

Good accuracy, superb integrity, awesome velocity--what's not to like. Good job with that bullet. Sounds like a great load.

That's looking great Scotty! I'm really liking the Accubonds. They sure have proved themselves in jug tests and in game animals.
David

I was very impressed with this bullet. Wasn't sure how it would handle the jugs up close but it did REALLY well in my opinion. Nothing to not like about that combo either. It is really shooting well for me.

Truly awesome Scotty!..man, that bullet took a beating and held up pretty darn good!...Nice :)

Lou

Yeah, I am very impressed with that bullet fella's, good BC on it and it's ability to drive deep is there. Should make a great load for the Fall.

I have said it before that is the best all around 35 cal bullet available for rounds from the 35 Whelen on up. Near or far, big or small it will get the job done. And yes that would be excellent for those elk you will be chasing this fall :)

I wonder how the 250 gr Partition will compare between the 270 North Fork and 225 gr AccuBond it seems when bullet construction is good sectional density doesn't matter as much. In the Whelen the 225 gr PT and AB penetrated just as far as the 250 gr PT when I did the tests which was 6 jugs.

No idea Gerry, I'd think the 250 PT will do everything the 270 NF did, but maybe not attain the frontal diameter? Either way, I know that 250 PT is a killer bullet. I went with the 225 AB for now, but if I am successful with it, I will try the 250 PT the following year.

I do like that 225 AB though. Nosler knocked it out of the park with that bullet for the 358's as far as I am concerned. I would like to see a higher BC 250 AB for the 358's. I think they would be magical in the bigger cased 35's to include the Whelen's.

I would like to see some 250 ABs in 358 also and then be able to get my hands on them. I don't know why the .358 bullets from Nosler are so scarce.
There must be an awful lot of people use .358 rifle bullets.

Awesome results with that 225 AB! It's shooting great in the 338-375 Ruger and stoned two deer last year. Plan on using it this year if we draw tags for elk in Oregon.

Pretty good performance Scotty.
Should be all you need to hammer an elk.

JD338

Back