338win mag pre 64

pre6422hornet

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
Every once in a while you come across something that you totally forgot about, put away in your brain, only to have it come back like a flash flood during a deluge.

Back in 1995 I started reloading during my junior year of college. My great Uncle who taught me, pushed me to buy a RCBS rockchucker kit and I never looked back. During our conversations in his reloading room we talked about ballistics, rifles, handguns, etc... His rifle of choice was his prized Browning Safari in 3006 that he used all over the US to take all sorts of game. He purchased this gun after the Korean war and it was a Pre Salt wood Browning. During our conversations he would tell me that if he was to ever have a rifle that would cover anything in NA that "needed killing", it would be a 338 winmag. I was just a young 20 year old soaking up all the information like a sponge. I always took my Speer Manual with me to his house to make notes, etc.. Well in Dec 1995 my Great Uncle had a massive heart attack while walking across the factory floor at Sauder Woodworking and was dead before he hit the ground. He always said he wanted to go with his boots on. We always said he died of a broken heart as he passed 9 days after my little brother crossed over. As everything was settled I was given a few of his rifles, which I still have and always will.

Fast forward to 1998 and I was immersed in the working world and an older gentleman befriended me as I worked with his wife and he took me under his wings. When we were discussing what rifle I should buy for my first western hunt, I said I wanted a 338, he said " a 338 hurts on both ends Pat"... He shot a .270 win and had killed quite a few elk and mulies with no issues, as did one of his friends. When it came time to buy my first big game rifle, I went with the .270win. 2 elk and 2 mulie bucks in 4 years cemented my love of the .270 and I never looked back.

Back about 4 months ago I grabbed that old Speer manual, which hasn't been opened for probably 14 years, and started flipping through the pages. The memories came flooding back of all my times spent working on guns, reloading, bs'ing, etc with my Uncle.

I came across notes that I had written including:

" Smith and Wesson has the best factory trigger"
"Ruger makes a helluva strong single acition"
" Nosler makes the most effective big game bullet"
"why would anyone want a plastic gun ( Glock)" Sorry Uncle Rich I disagree with you on that one. :D
"The pre 64 model 70 is a very fine rifle"
" The 338 winmag will be my first rifle"
"Wyoming for Antelope"
"Montana for Mulies"

Anyway I started thinking about that 338winmag note and realized that I had blocked that out of my mind for a long time. Not sure why, but I did. I guess after being successfull with the 270 I just never thought about it.

So now I was like a man obsessed. I started the search. I found one that looked good, not abused, so I went for it. I found it at Perry County Firearms in PA, a very reputable Pre 64 dealer. The add said it carried an extra hole in the rear bridge where someone had installed "magnum" mounts, but that hole would be covered by a regular mount so I wasn't worried. I called PC and talked with the owner who was very nice and he assured me the stock had been refinished, there was the extra hole, but other than that it was unmolested. We agreed to the transaction over the phone and I sent the money. I wasn't really worried about the extra hole and stock refinishing as this gun was going to get used.

Upon recieving the rifle I was pretty bummed. The stock was cracked behind the tang and under the wrist ( common areas for cracks in the m70), the stock had been glass bedded, and a hole was drilled in the stock kind of like a cross bolt and filled in with epoxy. There was also holes drilled at a 90 degree into the stock behind the recoil lug, middle and rear screw, also filled in with epoxy. Needless to say I was very upset. I emailed PC and very politely explained the situation and how I felt that I was misled. PC did step up and offer a full refund plus shipping costs. I mulled this over for a few days and after discussing with Scotty, I decided to keep it. He convinced me that I got a great deal, and the action alone was worth what I paid. I have a few old crossbolts laying around that I can drill out the epoxy and install, or maybe get a new hunk of walnut and make a stock for it as a tribute to my uncle.

Here she is as she sits. She hasn't been shot much by the metal finish. She was made in April 1960 and has a hand checkered stock. Now I have the 22Hornet, 243 win, 270 win, 338winmag, and the 375H&H I think I have all my gaps filled. Throw in the model 71 348 and there isn't a terrain out there I can't hunt.

and the " strengthening of the stock"

I have since procured dies, bullets, and cases. Time to start loading again. I think my Uncle would be proud.

Man, sorry to hear that it wasn't quite as described. Nevertheless, that is a great find and a wonderful tribute to a beloved uncle. Congratulations, Pat. I have no doubt that it will shortly be up to snuff for you.

Looks like you are covered from varmints to elephants now with your collection. The 338 looks to be a good find, load up some 210 gr Partitions and you will have the classic western elk and moose load in a classic gun. Congrats.

I like the rifle. I like it a lot. Sounds like you had some great times with your uncle. What ever happened to that stock build that you had going on? How did it turn out?

runtohunt":ppompmiw said:
I like the rifle. I like it a lot. Sounds like you had some great times with your uncle. What ever happened to that stock build that you had going on? How did it turn out?

Thanks guys. I am looking forward to mounting some Talleys and finding a scope for it.

Runtohunt do you mean this stock?

I still have to checker it, but I am planning on practising this winter and finalizing it before next fall.

Pat, that is a really pretty piece of wood for that Model 70, .338. When it is checkered and finished, it ought to be a stunner of a stock. Too bad about the old stock. I had some of that sort of thing happened to me also, mostly by older guys who really did not understand the concept of "cherry condition rifle". To them a couple extra screws for side mounts and refinishing the stock with a recoil pad was not a big deal.

I bought my first .338 WM in 1968 but I was on a Browning High Power rifle path at that time and bought a new Safari Grade Browning. I nursed it and the salt wood for a few years, got tired of fighting the rust, sold it and bought a Model 70, .338 WM, Alaskan. By then, I was heavily into Pre 64 Winchesters of all types (after 1934-64).

My Model 70, .270 Super Grade custom is starting to get a little tired looking from wear and tear and moderate use for 40 years. I figure that it has to have at least 2500 rounds through it by the two owners that have owned it all of its life. Plus, I think that slow throat erosion has stolen about 100 fps from it over the past 40 years. I had to restock it because the original owner had ruined a Super Grade stock and action sides with a file, hand drill and tap. I like it the way it is though and we have been together a long time. I hope that you get as much use out of your Model 70's as I have mine Pat.

That's a great rifle Pat. If I were to own just one, my 338 Win MAg Alaskan would be "THAT" rifle. Just nothing much it won't do for me, and as long as your a handloaders, the amount of different loads you can tailor to your purposes is endless. They are usually pretty easy to make accurate as well.

Don't feel too bad though, I am pretty sure we are undertaking the project at the same time.. Mine has a good crack around the tang, that hasn't moved a bit, but I am planning on pillaring, full bedding it, and re oiling the stock this Winter. I thought long and hard about just putting McMillan on the rifle, but the wood is too much to my liking to take it off.. I think we some proper work, they can be weatherized pretty easily and still keep the rifle intact. Granted, underneath, it'll have some bedding and pillars which aren't stock, but the heart of the rifle will still be there..

Great story about your Uncle. Never knew that, but he sounds like my kinda guy.

Nice! I've kind of wanted a .338 in an M70 since the first new CRF Classics came out ('92, maybe?).

Scotty, have you thought about a McWoody?

BK":1hi3ajsi said:
Nice! I've kind of wanted a .338 in an M70 since the first new CRF Classics came out ('92, maybe?).

Scotty, have you thought about a McWoody?

I have sorta Kurt, but I still don't think it would replace the wood... I don't know, I am going to see how well I can sort out the current stock. If it still doesn't look like it'll be what I want, I will order up a McM. Not sure if I would go McWoody though.. Just doesn't feel right having fake wood... Just my hangup I guess..

If you have a crack, starting under the tang or in the hand, you have to fix it to keep shooting a rifle shooting safely. I also have bedded recoil lugs and pillared rear screws in a few of my Pre 64 rifles. They were shooters, not collector calibers or rare types, mostly .30-06's, .308's or .270's. I also have added 1/8 inch wide bands in the forend tip to make Model 70 or other makes shoot better when they would not otherwise shoot well. As long as you disclose and do not try to sell the rifle as factory original, you will lose a little money but sleep at night.

Many people back in the 1930-1950's over oiled their rifles and rotted the wood a little. Many of these stocks cracked later when they dried out, especially under the tang. I don't know about others but I won't shoot a rifle bored .300 H&H or larger with a cracked stock in the hand. I just won't do it for safety's sake. If I am going to use that rifle, it is going to be safe. Plus, I would never sell a rifle with a cracked stock tang and not tell the buyer. That is really low behavior for not much money!

Back