338-375 Ruger build

Woodycreek

Handloader
Aug 2, 2007
Need some advise, comments, and opinions on this build. Looking at a Ruger Hawkeye 338 Win Mag as the build rifle. I think all I need is a reamer and a good smith? Fire away guys!

Brian,

That would be a solid platform for a build.
I would suggest you discuss it with Rob Canze at Williams. He will tell you up front the good, the bad and the ugly.
Should make for a nice elk hammer. :grin:

JD338

Just curious (but my curiosity doesn't overcome my laziness to actually look for myself) but how much velocity would you expect to gain?

Woodycreek":75c7ch3w said:
Looks like 3100-3150 with the 225 AB and 2950-3050 with the 250 AB.

Thats 338 RUM territory. 8)

JD338

I think it is like the 340 Bee? Just like Jake said after I read all of the other posts :lol: And fits in a long action!

Woodycreek":24ffxkwd said:
I think it is like the 340 Bee? Just like Jake said after I read all of the other posts :lol: And fits in a long action!

Brian,

I am running the 250 gr AB at 3000 fps and the 250 gr PT at 3024 fps in my 338 RUM. These are not MAX loads but close.

JD338

Somewhere an elk has a cold chill run up it's spine every time you talk about that build :shock:

My Bee guestamate was based on trying to build a 338/375R in quick load a few years ago (I'm by no means a QL pro so take that with a full shaker full of salt). I have seen faster velocities online from actual builds. I think max 340 bee loads would be a reasonable expectation. Anything above that is gravy!

Either way I'm excited to see how it turns out!

Woodycreek":2h40pfep said:
Join the 338-375 club! Scotty is in with me for the reamer.

You may just talk me into it!

What's the die situation like? Custom, or does someone offer them from the factory? Do I need some sort of form die, or just neck down factory brass in an FL sizing die? Load data available anywhere?

Hmmm, I could see converting one of these: http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... mid=535135

or these: http://ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeSporter/models.html

Greg Nolan":30o3diod said:
Somewhere an elk has a cold chill run up it's spine every time you talk about that build :shock:

Or a wolf, black bear, mule deer :twisted:

jmad_81":30o3diod said:
My Bee guestamate was based on trying to build a 338/375R in quick load a few years ago (I'm by no means a QL pro so take that with a full shaker full of salt). I have seen faster velocities online from actual builds. I think max 340 bee loads would be a reasonable expectation. Anything above that is gravy!

Either way I'm excited to see how it turns out!

What was your idea for the rifle? Barrel? Stock? Bullets? I have found some info on the 338-375 Ruger but it's kinda limited. What info I have found said its compares well against the 340 Bee.

BK":3mr1tn8h said:
Woodycreek":3mr1tn8h said:
Join the 338-375 club! Scotty is in with me for the reamer.

You may just talk me into it!

What's the die situation like? Custom, or does someone offer them from the factory? Do I need some sort of form die, or just neck down factory brass in an FL sizing die? Load data available anywhere?

Hmmm, I could see converting one of these: http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... mid=535135

or these: http://ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeSporter/models.html
Scotty said Hornday match grade dies are $190. Wonder if Forster or Redding would build them? Maybe use 375 Ruger dies and bushings? I'm using that Ruger Hawkeye sporter!

nvbroncrider":3mr1tn8h said:
You guys are awesome always "outside the box"!

What box? :mrgreen:

Wish you guys could have been in on the brainstorming that Scotty and me had this morning! That was the most fun I have had talking about rifles in a long time.

Jake, the 338/375 Ruger is actually in QL now. I ran some number with it using the 225 AB and 250 AB. Basically it falls out into the mid 3000's with the 225's and lower 2900's with 250's. It is basically the same as the 340 Wby without a magnum length action or a belt.

We were kinda BS'ing about the 375 Ruger case for a 358/375R or 35 Newton build and this came up. I have a great 338WM right now, and wouldn't be a bit shy about turning it into the 338/375. Shouldn't need much if any rifle work, and I would like to have a 24-26" barrel screwed on it. I am not sure how likely someone would be rechamber my rifle since it has has alot of rounds through it. It is still shooting great though. I have always liked the 340 WBY, ballistics wise, so this seems like the best way to get into one?

Hornady will make the Match Grade Dies for the cartridge. They are pretty costly at 190.00 or so, but what isn't costly when you get into the odd stuff? Their Match Grade dies are supposedly pretty good and look a bit different than their New Dimension stuff. No really information on that though. I would think Redding or RCBS could do it as well.

Kurt, those two examples you threw out there would make some good ones as well! I am pretty sure Brian is going in that direction as well. Either way, once I am back up to my own computer, I will run some numbers on QL to show some data for it. I was fairly impressed. Probably runs about 150-200fps in front of the 338WM. That is a good spot to be in my book.

View attachment 2012-05-25_07-09-08_291.jpg

Well I would be putting it on this stainless Win. M70 in a McSwirly. I would have looked really hard at a 26" #4 or a #5shot fluted. Would do a three groove again in a heart beat. More than likely I would have started with the 225 AB (250 AB would be a close second). Would top it with a 4.5-14x40 with some turrets. Would make for one dandy open country elk rifle!

Scotty we are sharing a brain on this one. I would do a new tube for sure. I like the idea of a 225AB doing a cool 3000! Might have to rent your reamer when i get my other projects caught up.

Back