325 WSM

alaska100

Handloader
Jan 31, 2012
We have enjoyed the 7 mm WSM BLR since we bought it and have recently been using a friends 325 WSM BLR lightweight stainless with a pistol grip. For our area this is a very sweet rifle and we have ordered one. If one takes the time to compare the ballistics of this rifle with rifles like the 338 win and 35 whelen ( we have both the 338 and 35 ), it certainly will hold its own and then some. A handy rifle for timber and mountain hunting. Thought I would throw this up, just in case anyone was thinking about getting one and looking for a recommendation

I worked up loads for a number of 325WSMs and a couple of those rifles were BLRs. They shot quite accurately, delivering a real punch to game. My Featherweight has accounted for moose, elk and whitetail, all the animals expiring without fuss and on cue. All save for one lovesick elk were one-shot kills, and he received a couple of extra (unnecessary as it turned out) shots as insurance because he refused to topple at the shot. I didn't want to be tracking a disappointed suitor through the bush.

Several of my sheep nut hunting buddies think the .325 is the best thing since sliced bread. Good trajectory, light rifles, great bullets and enough power to thump a curious griz. There's a lot to love there.

If I ever shoot the barrel out of my .300WSM- it's got a good chance of coming back to life as a .325.

You know how I feel Sean. I would love one of them. Potent package in a great little rifle!

...bought mine as a "brush gun", turns out w/ the right bullet they're a pretty darn good LR (600yd) rifle...

wildgene":nz8ovf2v said:
...bought mine as a "brush gun", turns out w/ the right bullet they're a pretty darn good LR (600yd) rifle...

Tween Mike and yourself, it's a targeted "next" rifle. Just hard to pass it by the Commander In Chief - House. You guys get that done and I'm headed to the LGS. Or I'll just pick one up from a buddy that works in a Store in Cody! :lol:

SJB358":r2n471xv said:
wildgene":r2n471xv said:

Tween Mike and yourself, it's a targeted "next" rifle. Just hard to pass it by the Commander In Chief - House. You guys get that done and I'm headed to the LGS. Or I'll just pick one up from a buddy that works in a Store in Cody! :lol:

Oh, good one, Scotty! :lol: Gotta' love that one!

...you just have to explain to "The Boss" that Nosler refuses to start production on a .220gr. LRAB until you buy a .325, & that me & Dr. Mike are getting mighty long in the tooth & living on borrowed time, so haste is of the essence...

wildgene":kbvz689q said:
...you just have to explain to "The Boss" that Nosler refuses to start production on a .220gr. LRAB until you buy a .325, & that me & Dr. Mike are getting mighty long in the tooth & living on borrowed time, so haste is of the essence...

I'm impressed by the rejoinder, Gene. :grin: Long in the tooth? Man, I'm losing teeth waiting for the Scotsman.

DrMike":314329hu said:
wildgene":314329hu said:

I'm impressed by the rejoinder, Gene. :grin: Long in the tooth? Man, I'm losing teeth waiting for the Scotsman.

Man, that is pretty heavy on guilt! I'm going to have to get on the ball! No sense hanging around you two, if your walkers aren't able to maneuver the terrain to get out to the range!

Sean, I have nothing against the 325 WSM. If I was 20 years younger, I probably would already own one in a Model 70. However, I don't have grizzly bears around here and only need something for the occasional elk. The only limitation in my mind for that 8mm caliber is bullet choices and even that has improved of late. But heck, I shoot a 9.3x74R, talk about lack of bullet choices?

I have owned both a 300 and 325 WSM, most 30 cal rifles leave me cold for some reason but I would own a 325 again. It's a little different has a decent selection of good slugs in the 180-220 gr range plus like was mentioned it has enough bullet weight and power to take out a grizzly while sheep or goat hunting. A 160 gr TTSX at around 3300 fps would be a very interesting load for a lot of different types of hunting.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content ... WSMWeb.pdf

Scotty, just a thought have you considered ditching your 300 WSM in favor of the 325? IIRC you like your 270 and 7mm WSM much better than the 300.

If I can negotiate my walker over to the gun safe, I may take the 325WSM with me moose hunting just to demonstrate to certain recalcitrant individuals what a fine cartridge it is.

Sometimes them young'uns need a cane whupped up side of the head to remind them to respect their elders, walker or not! That is if you can catch them?

Now your talking Charlie :) how does that song go? I might not be as good as I once was but I am as good once as I ever was :lol:.
We still have a couple of good hunts left in us :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Oldtrader3":29x7ywd6 said:
Sometimes them young'uns need a cane whupped up side of the head to remind them to respect their elders, walker or not! That is if you can catch them?

Don't worry fella's the wife gives me enough of that on a daily basis!

Oldtrader3":2ce9uas4 said:
The only limitation in my mind for that 8mm caliber is bullet choices and even that has improved of late.

That was the curse of the 8mm Mag...bad bullets.

These days any bullet worth hunting with is available in 8mm- I could easily shoot 200AB or Partitions all day and be happy as a pig in mud! A buddy zapped a griz with his .325 and the 160TSX. I don't like the TSX but dead is still dead.

Back