.308 with 200 gr. Barnes LRX help?

Silentstalker

Handloader
Jun 2, 2011
So my buddy has asked me to do some reloading for his AR .308. He wants some 200 gr. LRX bullets loaded up. His rifle has a 24" bull barrel.

I pulled data off Barnes website and confirmed with them I can use the load data for the 200 gr. TSX FB listed.

My question is does anyone have any experience with this bullet? Loading for an AR platform? Any advice given would be much appreciated! They list BL-C (2) as the most accurate powder. Any others I should consider? He pre purchased PPU brass and sieler and ellot primers which I dont know much about either.

Any advice before I get started?

BL-C(2) has proven to be an excellent powder for the .308 Win.

A 200 gr Barnes is a long, heavy bullet, and according to Barnes, you're only going to see about 2300 - 2380 fps out of it.

Interesting. No - I typically keep my .308 bullets under 180 grains - though I have shot some 190's in 600 yd competition, with good results.

Please keep us posted on the results of this, sorry I couldn't offer useful suggestions. Just interested in the topic.

Regards, Guy

Fellow who posts time to time (more often on 24 Hour Campfire) by the handle of "Montana Marine" has done a lot of loading and long range shooting with heavy bullets and the .308 Win. Might be worthwhile to look up some of his posts...

Guy

My question would be what does he intend to do with this load? Is it for hunting, paper targets or what? To me the 200 LRX is not well suited to the 308.

He does not hunt. He is not a competitive shooter. He has the mindset this is a personal protection gun that he also wants to shoot recreationally. He wants big stopping power so he naturally leans to the bigger bullets. He really likes barnes.

Neither bullet nor AR, however, I did read where some guys have been using the 200 Speer with Power pro 2000MR and a standard primer ( for an AR I would say the CCI #34)

Silentstalker":1u4x2vm5 said:
He does not hunt. He is not a competitive shooter. He has the mindset this is a personal protection gun that he also wants to shoot recreationally. He wants big stopping power so he naturally leans to the bigger bullets. He really likes barnes.

The good old 168 grain Sierra HPBT in Federal Gold Medal ammo was standard for SWAT snipers for a couple of decades, with an EXCELLENT record of successful one-shot stops... Well over 90%. And it doesn't even expand reliably... A 165 or 168 gr soft-point would be my choice for that kind of work with a .308 Win. Ballistic Tips come to mind, seeing how destructive, and effective, they've been on deer. Then you're talking roughly a 2700 fps mv.

Lots of choices with the .308 Win. For defense against people, you don't need a bullet intended for Big Game.

Guy

I'd listen to Guy on this matter for he knows of what he speaks.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Plus the fact that 2300 fps MV does not give a good effective range that the bullet will expand. Unless he is shooting under 100 yards

A 200 lrx will knock the primer out of a 308 case when you seat it!
OK.........not......but way way more bullet than optimal for that case!
If he's gotta have Barnes I'd recommend the 130-168 bullets.

Update, He wants to try them since he already bought them. I have talked him in to shooting lighter in the future. It will be interesting to see how they shoot. Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate and value your help.

Cool. Well, let us know how it goes. I'd try the Ball powder as recommended by Barnes.

Back