308 Norma Magnum

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Can't get it out of my head.........

Have no desire to own a 300 Win Mag even though they are good and while the 300 WSM and 300 H&H are pretty much equal in performance to the 308 Norma I haven't been able to talk myself into either yet. Have owned a 300 Win Mag, 300 WSM, 325 WSM and 308 Norma in the past, maybe in time I could own another 300 or 325 WSM since both are really good rounds and easy to get brass for. I did like what they both have to offer but why is it that I am so enamored with the classic 308 Norma Mag? Not really sure........

Very cool cartridge, Gerry. I wouldn't turn it down should one become available. Who knows, I may build one in the near future. I've loaded for several, and I was quite impressed by how easy it was to work up an accurate load.

Having top quality Norma brass helps a lot, the one I had for years shot very well with 180, 200 and 220 gr bullets. Having a rechambered Sako barrel didn't hurt things either since they make a great barrel.

Gerry my dad many years ago had started a build with the 03-A3 he had which was going to become a 308 Norman. It never got completed. I'm like you in that I've always felt the 308 Norma had something special. I honestly feel it's what the 300 Winchester should have looked like. Winchester should have just necked down the 338 Winchester and there you go, it would have been just right, which is almost exactly how the 308 Norma looks. It's a shorter cartridge that fits in long actions better and you can seat the bullets out where they should be and the neck is longer which is a plus also.

I worked with a fellow who has a 308 Norma and that thing is just a wonderful rifle and cartridge combination. I hope you get one again soon Gerry!

David

6mm Remington":px1qimer said:
Winchester should have just necked down the 338 Winchester and there you go, it would have been just right, which is almost exactly how the 308 Norma looks.
I suspect that's what they would have done if Norma hadn't beaten them to it. On the other hand, the forward shoulder on the .300 WM allows for a touch more powder. And it was only a few years before that Remington had released the .280 with its own shoulder moved ahead to keep it from chambering in a .30-06; maybe Winchester was trying to similarly separate the .300 from the .338. All of this, of course, is pure speculation on my part.

In any event, I'm with you guys. As a pup I swooned over the long case body of the .300 Winchester and swore I would own one someday. Now, though, I find the longer neck and the individuality of the .308 Norma to be much more appealing. If I ever do acquire a belted .30 it will have to be either an H&H or the Norma cartridge.

Gerry, I say go for it! :) It will be an awesome project.

gerry":1gkgfn3w said:

Have no desire to own a 300 Win Mag even though they are good and while the 300 WSM and 300 H&H are pretty much equal in performance to the 308 Norma I haven't been able to talk myself into either yet. Have owned a 300 Win Mag, 300 WSM, 325 WSM and 308 Norma in the past, maybe in time I could own another 300 or 325 WSM since both are really good rounds and easy to get brass for. I did like what they both have to offer but why is it that I am so enamored with the classic 308 Norma Mag? Not really sure........

Gerry, you son of a gun.....

These landed on my doorstep while I was gone last week.. I cringe at the thought of having a spare set of dies kicking around....

Here is a picture. It looks deceiving, but everything is lined up on the blade of the caliper. It looks weird cause the 300 Win is higher than the unloaded 200 AB..

Anyhow, the two rounds are seated to 3.530" OAL. It is roughly similar to how the Mashburn is set up and an easy fix. Looking at the picture, you can see the charge capacity would be pretty similar between the two of them, or I should say, usable seating area.

I don't believe I am really gaining anything over the magnificent 300 Win, but I don't mind being a little different. I actually wouldn't mind seeing if there was a 30-338 Improved as well.. But really, I'd be just fine with the way it sits..

Now I need to find a proper action to work with....

Wouldn't mind trying one of these out for the build...

http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=10

Scotty I know where there is a long magnum action for sale and you wouldn't have to pay shipping. :roll: :mrgreen:

Gerry the 308 Norma was what I was looking at to rebarrel my Wby to. I think it is a little more efficient and easier to load than the 300 Win. I know there are those here that will disagree but that is why we all have an opinion. (y)

So just thinking here and what IF you took a 375 Ruger and ran it threw a 308 Norma die and then trimmed to the same length as the Norma, would that be a 30 Newton?

I would say as well that the 308 Norma Mag is the best designed out of all the 30 cal magnums and the 30-338 is what the 300 Win Mag should have been. There is something about the 308 Norma that draws me in kinda like the 7mm Mashburn it just has something appealing about it even though other rounds duplicate their performance. The animals won't know the difference but being a gun nut facts don't seem to matter. When I ran the 308 Norma years ago I had a great practice load with necked down 338 WM brass and enough IMR 4350 to push a 180 gr Speer Mag Tip to around 3070 fps, even shot a couple of moose with that load.

Rodger I believe the Newton is very similar but there are some differences between them.

SJB358":2jx0dba9 said:
gerry":2jx0dba9 said:

Gerry, you son of a gun.....

These landed on my doorstep while I was gone last week.. I cringe at the thought of having a spare set of dies kicking around....

Wow Scotty that is living dangerously my friend! That MRC action would be superb for a build. Now do the darn thing so we can find out how it works already!

David

Truth be told, I have 308 Norma Mag dies sitting in the man cave as well.......... :lol:

Looking at Nosler's data, the 308 Norma and 300 WSM have pretty much the same case capacity, the 30-338 would be right there as well. Probably could safely use 300 WSM reloading data in either given common sense of course.

Doesn't the 308 Norma look just about perfect? That is a 180 gr AccuBond, as soon as I find the loaded round I can get you an overall length.

My son has my old dies but I had and hunted with a .308 Norma back in the late 1970- early 1980's. That was before I started collecting Winchester Model 70's and bought an Alaskan .300 H&H. Optimally loaded, there is not much difference between them for velocity and energy.

I sold my .308 Norma and stuck with the .300 H&H.

Looks good Gerry (y) ..if you need some 308 norma mag brass, I have some (Norma) I could give you free of charge pal 8)

Lou

The 300 WSM is about 81 grains, the 308 NM/30-338 is about 86 and the Win Mag runs between 88-95 grains depending on which case type is selected in QL.

It does look like a pretty well balanced cartridge. I like the ability to modify the 30-338/308NM to a 3.6 mag box on a Model 70 to give a little more seating latitude. Should be able to seat a 200 AB right at 3.6 touching the lands and end up somewhere around the 3.5" mark when it's all done.

At least that is where my head is at since it worked for the Mashburn.

I worked on my buddy's converted 1903 Springfield 20 years ago.

My most accurate loads mirrored my 300 Win loads. 180 76 gr H4831 200 73 gr 4831 both partitions.

FOTIS":lgfa2ojk said:
I worked on my buddy's converted 1903 Springfield 20 years ago.

My most accurate loads mirrored my 300 Win loads. 180 76 gr H4831 200 73 gr 4831 both partitions.

Didn't even think of that. That would be a cool donor as well..

Thanks for the info Fotis. That makes sense to me.

LD375":1zk2ba6m said:
Looks good Gerry (y) ..if you need some 308 norma mag brass, I have some (Norma) I could give you free of charge pal 8)

Lou

Maybe I could send you something in trade? I'll send you a pm, thanks :)

Scotty, I like the extra room as well to seat bullets, those rounds wouldn't be so cramped like the 300 WM is in say the Model 70 or Ruger 77.

gerry":28vcmck0 said:
LD375":28vcmck0 said:

Lou

Maybe I could send you something in trade? I'll send you a pm, thanks :)

Scotty, I like the extra room as well to seat bullets, those rounds wouldn't be so cramped like the 300 WM is in say the Model 70 or Ruger 77.

I think that is part of the reason Nosler offers the PP version of the 180 PT..

I would think it would be a good one either way. I'd like to give it the space to stretch to 3.6" Even the 300 Win Mag would benefit from that action.

Back