.300 Win Mag vs. the jugs

Not too bad. I have used them on everything with complete satisfaction. Would like to see a VLD do that.

Four jugs isn't bad at all, considering the velocity you generated. I've used that particular bullet on several occasions in the 300WSM, and it performed very well for me.

My bullet of choice for my 300 Win Mag for a number of years. Joyce Hornady philosophy of 10 bullet through the same hole still holds true.

Picture097-1.jpg

Pretty impressive. Those jugs took on a lot of energy.

JD338

It was shot at 25 yds. It definitely put the bullet to the test. I expected it to hold together a little bit better, but what was left of the core and the base of the jacket almost made it out of the 4th jug. Seeing what these do at 30-06 velocities will give me an idea of how they will do as they go down range with the .300.

When I had a 300 WSM the same bullet also did 4 jugs but kept it's core at around 2900 fps. A guy I know shoots these out of his 300 Weatherby exclusively and hasn't had much problem taking a moose every year. He has the odd one come apart at closer range but he usually shoots them pretty far out so it works.

ROVERT,

My high velocity (300 WBY) career started in 1988 and the 180 gr. Hornady interlock was my bullet of choice. It's a fine bullet with a great history.
My learning moment came when I shot my first elk (a cow) at about 50 yards. I shot for the shoulder to break her down as I'd read and been told. At 3140 FPS. the bullet became schrapnell upon impact. The largest piece was retreived from her rear hip (36 inches from the point of impact) and it was smaller than my little finger nail. A freak piece of jacket penetrated her heart but the only reason we found her was that she ran into a alder thicket and hung her hips on a v notch in the trees. Long story short, if you use Hornady bullets use the interbond, better yet use the AccuBond because it NEVER fails to perform. This is my experience and of course 6 dead elk's experience.
Greg

Back