300 RUM Problem

DON":269b7iyp said:
I noticed that with the inertia puller it seemed easy to move the bullet with very little effort. Compared it to a re-sized load and there was a big difference in neck tension.

I now believe I just ran the new case necks in my RCBS Die vs the Forester Bench Rest Die.

Don

Don, how many times have the cases been fired? Reason I ask is they may need to be annealed in order to get the neck tension back. Even some new brass could have had insufficient annealing from the factory.

I ran into the same deal with a few of my cartridges. Started shooting larger groups with larger spreads. I realized the bullets weren't being gripped the same as they had been in the past.

If you haven't tried annealing, give it a shot. Plus, if anything, it'll allow you to keep your brass longer before a full on failure and it really tightened up my overall groups in my rifles as they were all consistently the same neck tension.

Just a thought. It is very easy to do.

Scotty,
Thanks for the information. The cases are new unfired.I believe there is a difference in the two Dies I own, RCBS vs Forester Bench Rest Set. I usually work all my new brass, flash holes, run the necks thru the Sizer Die etc. I'm usually pretty anal about it. When I upgraded to the Forester Die Set I experienced better load performance just in this particular instance. I remember using the RCBS Die for some reason, in a hurry etc. :roll:

Having always used and shot new Rem. Brass I never have had that experience with annealing. But you never know too. If memory serves me correctly I pulled some loads apart that had new brass and I ran the necks through the Sizer Die as they had new primers in them. THAT COULD BE MY ISSUE RIGHT THERE!

Don

Don, that could be your issue. I will also mention this, my STW is a little particular about it's brass. When I changed from Rem to Win brass I had to change my loads a couple of grains. In addition the sweet spot for the Win brass is at a significantly lower velocity then with the Rem brass.

In addition, if you used Remington factory primed brass, Remingtion uses a propritary primer is their RUM loads. It's not avaliable to the public. RUMS can also be very sensitive to primer selction. I I was you, I'd load some of the new, now once fired, brass with my good forster dies, and fed215's and try that side by side with my old loads. I imagine that will tell you alot.

In any event, I expect you will have this licked in one or two range sessions.

A. Sniper,
You and I think alike. That's where I'm going next. In fact I'm going to pull the new brass loads apart as it's not worth messing with them at this point.

These were not Rem Factory Primed casings. Just new cases with 215 primers I installed.
Next steps will be as follows:

Clean the gun, check mounts and Screws
Weigh the Bullets and Brass Casings
De-burr Flash Holes, etc.
Load new brass
Load Re-sized 1x fired brass

[*]All brass will be run through the Forester Sizer Die

Don

Interesting, will be watching to see what happens. Still thinking about all of this thread. Your next post will be interesting to say the least. Hope you have found the solution.

DON":1cm5vwcf said:
A. Sniper,
You and I think alike. That's where I'm going next. In fact I'm going to pull the new brass loads apart as it's not worth messing with them at this point.

These were not Rem Factory Primed casings. Just new cases with 215 primers I installed.
Next steps will be as follows:

Clean the gun, check mounts and Screws
Weigh the Bullets and Brass Casings
De-burr Flash Holes, etc.
Load new brass
Load Re-sized 1x fired brass

[*]All brass will be run through the Forester Sizer Die

Don

Don any updates?

Bill

Bill,
No updates at this time. I have the Re-sized brass ready to drop in powder and bullets. I have the new brass re-sized and worked over as well, ready to drop in the same.

I haven't had the time to continue at this point. Now work is beckoning to delay it a little more. It could be 3-weeks now till I get back the range.

Thanks for checking in with me though as I'm anxious to resolve the issue.

Don

I'm late on this but did you happen to check the bullet run out. I scanned the posts and didn't see anything on it . That makes the biggest different in my loads they'd have to be really out to cause 3" groups but it's something else to check. I've tried most loading tricks and found they really didn't make that much difference. The exception being bullet run out . I used to get the occasional flyer then I started using the true angle tool I can't remember the last time I had flyers. Once I stared checking run out I found I'd have up to .015 run out most were between .005 and .008 and it showed up in my groups. Anymore , I trim , hold the oal on a comparator, and trickle each charge. once there all loaded ( I seldom load more than 20) I just straighten them to within .003 , most time less , on the true angle. Last fall I had 257 Weatherby factory ammo $100.00+ a box. 115 gr. tsx ran out .01+ , 80 gr ttsx ran out .005 - .01 . neither shot very well @ 100 yards. I loaded max charge of RL22 100 gr ttsx less than .002 run out shot just over 1" @ 240 yards that wasn't a fluke I ended up doing it 3 times. The gun was a Vanguard 2. Here's a post w/ a pic of the group.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17820

This is just me but my groups off sandbags 95% of the time are better then off the lead sled not sure why but I've seen it over and over again. good hunting Karl

Karl,
You made some valid points. I just need the time now to get back to the bench to resolve the problem. It's going to be a couple of weeks now as my work schedule is detaining me.

Don

Don, for what its worth, also my ADD prevented me from reading all the replies. I tried US869 once and didn't like how temp sensitive it was. Were there any differences in temps from the first time to the second time?? My 300RUM loved Retumbo and then H1000.

freebird,
I only had one outing with US869 so far so I don't have any comparison yet. Velocity seemed a bit low for a 100 grain charge but will see what happens next outing with additional charge added.

Don

Scotty,
I loaded some 300 RUM loads earlier this week using the new brass and the re-sized brass. I FL re-sized the new brass and once fired using the Forester Die. When seating the bullets I did notice a difference in resistance, more so with the re-sized brass than the new brass. I'm sure something will show up when I get to the range eventually.

Don

Good luck Don. I am looking forward to seeing how you make out with that rifle.

Scotty,
Thanks, it will be a little while till I get to the Range. In the mean time I've got to give the gun a good cleaning.

Don

Back