280 is excellent

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
I recently got my hands on a Sako 75 Hunter in 280. What a sweet shooting caliber! It really is amazing that this caliber is not in the top 10 rifles. . . although it would have some stiff competition no doubt. It matches up well with the 270 and the 30-06. It is the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever owned, and this includes Remington, Weatherby, Tikka and Winchester. I realize that these manufacturers make fine rifles and I enjoy them, but this rifle is something special.

Long

I am starving for information. I am thinging of rebarreling a Ruger M77 (tang safety) that is currently a 270 to a 280 ackley. The gun is starting to open up groups I remember when three shots would group ~.75" now I am up around 1.5". My gunsmith was the one that told me to look into the 280 but I figure that if I am going to rebarrel that I might as well step up to the 280 ackley. I am sort of leary because I do not handload but realize that would required. Just tring to sort out my options.

Well some good news for 300rem7, as most of the AI chamberings use standard chamberings to fireform the AI case. So you can still shoot the factory ammo, but the optimal results will, like you say be obtained using handloads, and most likely a 140gr AccuBond.

Just about all the cartridges based on the .30-06 shoot well. It just goes to prove that the .30-06 is one of God's Chosen Cartridges. :lol:

George

I too have been interested in the Ackley calibers. I see Nosler has loads for some, if not all of them. But I have never done a search on the web about info concerning them. Maybe some more good info will show up here. As far as reloading goes, I find it to be very enjoyable. It gives me another aspect of the hobby I already enjoy; and it allows me to shoot more for the same $$$ I would put out for factory loads.

Long

I have (2) 280 ACkLEYS, sold 2 also that I never should have. ALL of them out shoot the standard 280 cartridge. What you have is the ability to shoot a standard 280 round and an ACKLEY that rides on the heels of a 7-MAG. without the recoil and powder consumption. The .280 ACKLEY is the best in performance of the ACKLEY family.

JUST LOVE'EM! :grin:

I am now on my third custom .280, this is a rather rare rifle. It is a Brno 721 aka 21-H, "roundbolt", re-chambered from 7mm Mauser to .280 Rem. Although not a full custom like my previous two, it shoots in the .5s with the 160 PT. Gold MF. and is a very sweet little rifle to pack and handle. I may well build another just like it on a 21-H " flatbolt" action I recently stripped from a beater as I like these actions with this cartridge very much.

For those not familiar with them, this is a double flattop, full C-collar, integral mount bases, superbly finished, small-ring Mauser 98 derivative and about the finest, postwar sporter made, IMO. A .280 like this is perfectly suited to almost every form of hunting one would do here in B.C. and many of the most extreme gunnuts I know have them and love them as I do mine.

IMO, this wonderful round and a .338 Win. make the perfect combo for Western Canadian big game hunting.

Sorry, I don't have the means of doing this, at present. If, you want to see one of these rifles, go to AR-classified and go back about a week or two in the backpages. Ray Atkinson has one, in 9.3x62 which appears factory althopugh it has been re-barreled. This is identical to mine in .280, I also have a minty shorter barreled one in 7x57 and the action I mentioned. I cannot speak too highly of these, the quality is obviously superior to my Dakota 76; the downside is that only about 43,000 of these were made and the prices in the US are steep.

I also have a minty Brno-ZG-47, a large ring successor to the 21-H and an action from another one, these are very rare, ,only about 21,000 were made. I prefer these two to anything else for sporting rifles and if, you find one, you will see why.

At one time the 280 Remington was the most popular cartridge for custom rifles. As to the so called improved versions they do work well when done right but the increase in capacity and therefore real velocity, at the same pressures, is small. However if one already reloads and does not have an improved cartridge then it's good clean fun.

As to the ZB 21h. I have only one and at that for a few months. On the other hand Kutenay has been there and done that with them so take that for what it's worth.

First of all these little Brno's are as cute as a button and quite desirable. However they are rare and therefor very hard to find and expensive as well. The carbine I have shoots very well and is quite slim. This makes for a very handy rifle and it's a pleasure to look at as well. On the down side the safety does not hold the bolt closed and most of them have set triggers. Since these Brno's fall into the catagory of the Mannlichers such things only add to their unique appeal.

I tried to post a picture but I cannot figure this forum out for the moment. Perhaps I will try again later.

These Brnos were primarily shipped to Africa and Canada and actually can be found for quite reasonable prices here in Canada; many of them were purchased by serious bush workers due to the light weight and thus show long, hard use. I would never alter a really nice one, but, have seen many beaters that can be stripped and re-built; the triggers can easily be changed to a commercial unit such as a Dayton-Traister, the bottom metal can be switched to an Argy 1909 or Blackburn, Sunnyhill or Wisner and the abomination of a safety can be replaced by a Dakota, Wisner or Gentry.

Then, one can add a Serengeti or good synthetic stock and have a light, ultra-functional crf rifle in any .473" based cartridge; these can accept the Ackley rounds, but, the action mods required deter me from doing this, although Ralf Martini of Martini & Hagn informs me that he has done so.

All in all, these can become just about the neatest hunting rifle for mountain conditions that I can envision.

GeorgeS":2rx9qi1j said:
Just about all the cartridges based on the .30-06 shoot well. It just goes to prove that the .30-06 is one of God's Chosen Cartridges. :lol:

George

Here we go again with God's Chosen Cartridges.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a ZKK-600 in 30-06 for awhile. I sold it to a young fella that had his eye on it. It shot really well with 59 grs. rl-22 and a 180 gr. Partition. The 280 is a great caliber, I have to agree, anything made from the '06 case is a winner.

I have a 280AI that was built by Jim Borden. Rem 700 action, 24 3/4 SS Hart #5 barrel, tuned factory trigger set at 28oz., Custom inletted Remington LSS stock that has been beddedwith aluminum pillars and devcon. That rifle pushes 140NAB over 3200fps and groups in the .3s. I have had several customs over the years. So far the 280AI is my favorite.

The 280 stacks up well against the 7MM Rem Mag. Some of the 280's I have owned have matched some of the 7 Mags that I have owned. Certainly in the hunting fields the difference is to slight to notice. Except of course for the recoil. :wink:

I know I'm pleased with my Borden 280AI. Getting consistant .5moa and smaller groups with it. Velocity is running just a tad over 3200. I have had dealings with this and one other AI..a 7-08. The results I have seen more than justified the switch to the ackley in both cases. My pet load for my 280AI is 63.3 grains V V N-165, 140NAB seated .010 off the lands, Fed 210M primer. I am using WW 270 brass that has been necked up and fireformed to my chamber. If anyone is interested, the specs on my rifle are as follows....700 action, slicked, tricked, and trued by Jim Borden, Hart #5@24 3/4", tuned factory trigger set@ 30oz, Remington LSS laminated stock inletted and pillar/devcon bedded by Tim Claunch, Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50, Warne Maxima steel rings and bases.

hey I love the 280 have used it for 20 or so years man if I do my part there is nothing my chosen cartridge won't do
The best bullets for me use to be b.t.s but now I use c.t.s so now I kinda just rotate between the two brands h1000 is a good powder in mine as well

Another vote for the 280.

Ballistic twin of the 270 with lighter bullets, more versatility due to wider bullet choices.

Most factory loads are under loaded for potential use in older M742 semi autos.

Load 'er up to 270 pressure and it is right on the heals of the 7 Mag with shorter barrel lengths. (24" and less)

If the .280 had come out before the .270, O'conner would have been writing about it instead. A great caliber. Be sure to try IMR7828 for 150-175gr bullets.

You know - this was acctually a part of my collage degree believe it or not... B: 8)

Back