270 winchester makeover complete

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
I have started a goal/dream/quest per say to hunt all of the North American game with this one rifle. (Gotta have big dreams!) While its a stretch, who knows - maybe I win the lottery... :grin:

It started out as a nice wood stocked high gloss, FN Winchester 70, 270 with Leupold mounts/rings and a Vortex 3-9x40 scope. I have taken a bunch of Mule Deer, 3 Elk, a few Bears, and Antelope with it. I have always used the same load - 130 nosler Partition behind a bunch of w760 for 3150 FPS which would give me 1" groups even with a bad trigger and not so good factory bedding. Finished rifle weighed a touch over 9 pounds.

With this "quest" in mind, I decided the rifle needed a face-lift which included:
Bell and Carlson medalist Mountain Stock in Olive Green
Cerakoted the barreled action Graphite Black
Lapped the bore
Skim Bedded the action
Timney Trigger - is set at 1.5 pounds - sooooo nice
Talley 1pc low ringmounts
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40

Rifle is now at 7 pounds 13 oz....Not sure I could have asked for much better - just about perfect for what I wanted and a lot more weather resistant. I am hopeful we can turn this into a 1/2 moa rifle with the better trigger and glass bedding.

While this might not be "ideal" for some game animals in N.A., it most certainly will handle them all and in reality everything but 4 or 5 animals in Africa. I may try to work up a 150 Partition load to have, but the 130 is what goes hunting with me.

Attachments

• IMG_1231.JPG
    IMG_1231.JPG
    907.7 KB · Views: 1,380
  • IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    516.3 KB · Views: 1,380
A true American classic. The upgrades make it a durable rifle for your pursuit.
Nicely done and good luck.

JD338

I know there are much better stocks out there, but I do like the B&C's. They look great, and are a great value.

I had a 270 win for the last 10 years, and I made similar upgrades to that rifle as I went. I recently replaced the barrel with a 280ai, but I'll say that 270 never let me down.

A man's gotta' dream. Here's pulling for you. You have taken a big first step toward fulfilling the dream. May it come to fruition.

Not a single thing wrong with that setup!! I would work up a load with a mono metal premium bullet too. Amazing penetration!

Two of the fastest moose kills I've ever seen was with a 270 win and a buddy of mines wife killed a decent interior griz with one shot using 150gr Nosler Ballistic tip while caribou hunting. Tipped him right over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks about like a PERFECT all arounder. Weight looks good to carry and the stock and bedding won't hurt nothing either. I'm a big 270 fan, and your choice seems to be spot on. Can't wait to hear about how it shoots.

Sweet! Looks like an Old Friend now, don't it? Keep dreaming...I'm an old Country Boy preacher and I've ended up hunting in several states for deer, hogs, elk, exotics and 4X in south Africa and Namibia! How? By keeping my dreams alive and talking about it, planning and then counting on the rest of the 99.9999% of what God can do for you, ha.

No flies whatsoever on a rig like this one.

The .270 is time-tested and well-proven. I imagine this would literally be all the gun you would ever need.

Of course it won't be the last one you own but for versatility's sake, you have hit the mark.

Dale

Great looking rig even if it's in Jack O'Connor's cartridge.

I like your rifle.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I love it! Looks about perfect to me! With H4831SC mine will do about 1/2-3/4 MOA if I do my part. Just a thought. I have taken 5 elk with a that combo and all have gone less than 10 yards at ranges from 142-411. Nothing wrong with the 270. I use 130 grain Ballistic Tips.
Well done! Beautiful rifle!
Todd

I have that exact B&C stock for my Model 70 7mm rem mag. I can take the action from the wood stock and put in the B&C and back again without having to re zero. Sometimes you feel like wood and sometimes you don't. Maybe I should re phrase that, some ambient conditions require a synthetic stock.

I like that graphite black finish and I agree the 130 Partition at 3100fps+ is an awesome load in the .270 win. Good luck on your quest.

Bud, I have shot a 270win for over 40 years and have taken every big animal in Saskatchewan using the 130gr Partition and now shooting the 130gr AccuBond.
Vince, Sir Jack had a good reason for shooting the 270win it is just plain good :mrgreen:.
I have had great success using IMR 4350 in my hunting applications and have in most part kept a .5moa.
I am quite sure if you play a bit with this newly reconstructed lady you will find her to be all that you need (y).
PS. Another great powder for the 270 is IMR4831.
Looking forward to your range report with photos.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,

Having had the displeasure of meeting the aforementioned person of which we speak I have a distinct dislike for anything associated with him.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I'm a huge 270 Win fan. All I used for years before gravitating toward the 6.5's. The 270 for me has been the fastet killer for me on deer. Wonderful cartridge.

The .270 is a very well-rounded cartridge. My Maternal Grandfather never owned anything larger in caliber. His favorite load was the 130 grain Western but in later years when he couldn't get it he used Speer and Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets. His favorite handload was getting "only" about 2900 fps from his 24" Remington 721 barrel but he was a heck of a shot with it to be sure. Deer, Elk, Black Bear, etc. had nary a chance. He never had much use for the 150 grain bullets as he felt the "rainbow" trajectory defeated the purpose of having a .270 but I also feel like Grampa thought it would make his pet musket (steel butt plate and all) kick more than he liked.

Grampa passed on when I was a Senior in Highschool and my Uncle inherited his beloved 721. It sits as a Safe Queen in my Uncle's Collection these days but boy it was an all-star in it's time.

This .270 you have worked up will serve you well!

Dale

Hard to match a 270 ballistically to 500 yards without burning more powder. It really is a great hunting cartridge. I've got the WSM version but it is a favorite. Does a lot of work without beating a shooter up.

That's a neat story Dale. Love to hear them old stories about the 270 Winchester.

Back