270 Winchester Load and Primers

Backcast88

Beginner
Sep 15, 2012
I recently sold my Browning XBolt 270 WSM and purchased a Tikka T3 SS 270 Winchester. I was going to load some rounds tomorrow and Thursday afternoon. I have IMR 4350 and Reloader 22. I was planning on creating several small batches (5-6 rounds each) and see what the gun likes. I was taking inventory of my reloading stuff and it looks like all I have is WLRM primers and CCI 250 mag primers from when I loaded for the 270 WSM. I thought I had some WLR or even Remington primers for my dad's 270's but I don't.

Rookie question, can I use the mag primers with IMR4350 and RL22 or do I need to find non magnum primer?

Also, any suggestions on starting loads or if anybody has any loads they have using IMR4350 or RL22 that would be great.

There is two or three guys on here that use magnum primers. Stand by for more. What bullet are you going to start with?

Yep, no problems with using magnum primers, just work up carefully as you normally would. You may or may not have to reduce the charge from standard primer data.

The magnum primers will generate somewhat higher pressures, which you compensate for by working up to a safe load, as others have already suggested. I believe most of us have made that choice at one time or another. You'll do fine.

I have gone both ways with the mag primers in the .270 Win. Just drop the charge and work up with Mag primers.

Man, I am sorta saddened that you sold that WSM! I remember when you got that rifle. It was a shooter, but I imagine your Tikka is going to be just as accurate.

I am with the others, I run alot of CCI250's without problems. I think they are great primers.

What bullet are you looking to use?

SJB358":2bmz5kc1 said:
Man, I am sorta saddened that you sold that WSM! I remember when you got that rifle. It was a shooter, but I imagine your Tikka is going to be just as accurate.

I am with the others, I run alot of CCI250's without problems. I think they are great primers.

What bullet are you looking to use?

I loved the WSM and it was accurate. I wanted a tikka and had an itch to go back to a regular 270. A coworker of mine offered to buy it since she was in the market for a new rifle. She made a fair offer and we both walked away happy.

If you are shooting 130gr bullets out of you 270 win. I have been using IMR4350 powder for over 40 years and Charlie might have me beat by a year or two :lol:.
I can give you a starting point and advise you of my particular load for my CDL. Just remember to start back and work you way up slow :).

Blessings,
Dan

A good friend of mine has some CCI 200's he will trade me for my 250's and I did find some Remington #9-1/2 primers. I would rather use the CCI's or Winchester Large Rifle if I can find any while running errands tomorrow.

I am shooting 130 Accubonds. They shot great in the x bolt, a little slow due to my scale being off a little (1/2 grain low). I expect them to shoot great out of the Tikka. I will sight the rifle in with some 130 Hornady SP or SST's and then I will try out the handloads.

Dan, I am trying to remember? My first gun in the Army was a 7mm Mag. My first .270 would have been in 1966 (a Mannlicher Schoenauer) after I got out of the service, so 47 years for the .270 Win.? I still have a pair of 1966 RCBS dies.
Charlie

Backcast88 I also shoot 130gr ABs:) my load is 54.5 grs. of IMR 4350. Please start around 53grs. and work your way up.
I know my cousin shoots RL-22 in his 270WSM & loves it:)!
I loaded my Son's 270win this fall with H4831SC & it was impressive as well.

Blessings,
Dan

Backcast,
That was a great choice, super gun and a magic caliber, you really would be hard pressed to beat that outfit, the mag primer advise here is all good,
Good Luck with your new purchase :p

I use Norma brass, Federal Match 210 primers, sometimes Federal Mag 250 with RL-22 in the winter.
I have found that magnum primers will produce extra 20 FPS.
My 130 gr load use H4831 sc, most of the time. 140 AB like N560, 150 gr prefers RL22.
Velocity I get from 22 inch Sako85 : 130gr ( 2950-3050 FPS ), 140 gr ( 2850 - 2925 FPS) and this one with 150 gr almost always 2850 FPS. All of them shoots under 1 inch at 100 yards.
Vodekz

I,ve always been impressed with the shot to shot velocity spread with IMR-4350. I was looking at a three shot string from the late 80,s I chrony checked using 130 sierra bullets. I had 3065 fps for all three shots. Its no wonder 4350 is so popular in the .270. It just flat works. Even Jack O Conner used it alot before he discovered Military surplus No. 4831.

I am losing some velocity in my .270 Win. This rifle is a 1949 Model and I am the second owner, since 1973. I know that I put a couple (100) bullets through this rifle every year for 40 years. so after 8,000 of my rounds and what ever from the first owner, I believe that I have frosted and eroded the first couple inches of rifling. I am only getting around 2940 out of the 24 inch barrel any more. The rifle still shoots 3/4 inch consistant groups with 55 grains of IMR 4350. Can't really complain about accuracy. I probably could switch to CCI 250's and freshen the load a little.

I've had best results in the .270s I've loaded using the aforementioned powders as well. H4831, IMR-4350, RL-19 & 22 have all given me excellent hunting loads. Using a 130gr bullet, 58.5gr to 60.0gr of H4831 seems to be nirvana territory in all 3 of these rifles. I've decided to use 140gr ABs in my .270 but the other two still use 130gr bullets on WTs with boring perfection. IMR-4064 works as well accuracy wise but it doesn't give the top end velocities like the other powders listed.

Enjoy!

I traded my mag primers for CCI 200's. I was going to load some rounds last week but I am positive my scale is off some. I am waiting to borrow my buddies electronic scale to see how far off my scale is and I will also use it to load a few rounds in the next weeks.

I did get a chance to finally shoot the Tikka. The recoil was more then I was expecting but wasn't a real issue. I only had a chance to shoot at 25 yards b/c of the weather. I was shooting Hornady American Whitetail 130 SP factory ammo since it was cheap and readily available in my area. Once I got it dialed in I put 2 bullets in the same hole and 3 rounds in a 1/4" group. Yes it was only 25 yards but it was more of a confidence boosting range secession then anything else. Now I just need to run it out to 100 yards in the next week or so.

Good luck BC88, hope the rifle turns out to be real good. Haven't heard of many Tikka's that don't shoot well though. Add in that it's a 270 Win and the odds go up even further.

Well, I finally found some free time to work up some loads. The rifle has shot factory ammo fairly well. I knew I was going to handload for the rifle so I ran several boxes of Hornady American Whitetail through the rifle to break in the barrel and zero the scope.

I tested several loads and to save time and space I only included the 3 best loads, or ones I want to revisit later.

The first handload I tested after checking the zero on the rifle turned out the be the best of the day. 130 gr SST seated to 3.23" over 59.5 gr of RL 22. I worked up to 59.5 and then ran out of bullets. The lower charges were not very impressive. I want to try bumping it up a half grain or so and/or play with my seating depth to see if it tightens the group up any. But if not I'll certainly use this as my hunting load.
IMG_1026_zps0e782bfe.jpg

By the time I got around to testing my AccuBond loads my barrel was a little warm. I waited as long as I could for it to cool but with the rain rapidly approaching I went ahead and tried the loads mainly to check for pressure problems.

The 130 AB seated at 3.30" over 57.5 gr of RL22 had a large spread. How much of that was due to the hot barrel, me pulling the shots (most likely answer) or is the load? I don't know, hints the reason I want to revisit this load later.
IMG_1022_zps235af7eb.jpg

The last group was shot from a very hot barrel. Again, probably shouldn't have shot the group but really wanted to test for pressure problems. But the accuracy wasn't bad and is worth a 2nd try later through a cold barrel. 130 AB seated at 3.30" over 54.5 gr of IMR 4350.
IMG_1021_zpsa57811d8.jpg

I didn't see any pressure issues with any of the rounds fired today. I did use CCI magnum primers so I played it on the safe side and didn't really run too close to the max loads in my Nosler and Hornady load manuals. My buddies chrono is down currently so I don't know velocities exactly but my guess (comparing them to the factory Hornady rounds) is they are 2900 ish.

Once I get some time to load some more rounds I'll play with the seating depths and increase the powder charge a little at a times. After I test the 2nd batch I'll report back. So far things are going very well in the Tikka. Its not a troublesome as my Xbolt 270 WSM was.

I had great luck with Rl22 and H4831 with 140s and 150s.

I used CCI 250Ss as well, no problems. Was all I had at the time and decided try them anyway. Good velocity and low ES.

Back