270 winchester & 130 etip

highcountryhays

Beginner
Jul 6, 2012
Living in California I need to work up a non lead load for my 270 winchester. Has anybody come up with a pet load for 270 and the 130 Etip?

I've had good luck with Nosler 130 grain E-tips so far, although the sample size is limited. My load is:

WW brass
CCI 200 primers
55.0 IMR 4831

This load groups in just under an inch in my rifle (Remington 700) with a fixed 4X scope at 100 yards. I've shot two adult whitetail bucks with the load and anchored both. I was able to recover a bullet from each (quartering shots), and had nice mushrooms that weighed 127+ grains each (I assume just the polycarbonate tip was missing).

Joel

highcountryhays":uv6ac6ki said:
Living in California I need to work up a non lead load for my 270 winchester. Has anybody come up with a pet load for 270 and the 130 Etip?

Welcome to the forum.

IMR4831, H4831 and RL 22 are the best powders to use. Keep in mind that mid loads are considered MAX with the E-Tip. The longer bearing surface can cause pressures to spike quickly.

JD338

jhuener":10x1aden said:
I've had good luck with Nosler 130 grain E-tips so far, although the sample size is limited. My load is:

WW brass
CCI 200 primers
55.0 IMR 4831

This load groups in just under an inch in my rifle (Remington 700) with a fixed 4X scope at 100 yards. I've shot two adult whitetail bucks with the load and anchored both. I was able to recover a bullet from each (quartering shots), and had nice mushrooms that weighed 127+ grains each (I assume just the polycarbonate tip was missing).

Joel

Joel,

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you have a proven load.
Post a picture of the recovered bullets. :mrgreen:

JD338

Joel,

Welcome to the forum. We hope we'll see more of your posts. I agree with JD338--give us a picture of the recovered bullet. Those are always interesting pictures.

Highcountry,

A welcome to you as well. Give us a picture of your rifle when you get a chance. There are a lot of gun cranks hanging out here than truly enjoy seeing what others are shooting. My 270 is a WSM, so the data I've generated won't do you much good. However, I've used the 130 grain E-Tip to take moose and elk. The shots dropped those big critters right smart.

Hi JD338 and Dr. Mike,

I don't have pictures of the bullet from the second buck - one of the petals broke off and it's not as classic. Here's the first one:
100_2061.jpg

This was my first venture into the realm of monolithic bullets, and I've got to say that though the sample size is small, I'm pleased by the results - reasonable accuracy, great weight retention, and good bullet action. I don't have a chronograph, so I don't know what kind of velocity I'm getting from a 22" barrel. This load is several grains lower than my load with conventional cup and core bullets.

I've enjoyed lurking here for a while, but finally had something to add.

Joel

Excellent picture, and very fine weight retention. Here is the 130 grain E-Tip I recovered out of my last elk. It mirrors what you are showing.

PA100269.jpg

PA100270.jpg

Hi Joel glad to have you on board :)
I have shooting a 270win for 40 some years.
I haven't shot E-tip but do use the ABs my go to load is 53.5grs of IMR 4350.
Please start lower & work your way up.
You are going to enjoy the forum lots of real fine people with more knowledge than 10 books :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks for the information. I have been using Nosler 150 partitions for 30+ years. None of the recovered bullets were nice to look at, but they are devastating. 58 grains of H4831 always produced minute of angle in my 270 until I wore out my barrel. Just had rifle re barreled and need to work up new loads.

The E-Tip is a great bullet! I have never shot them in a 270 WCF, but played with them in a 270 wsm.

I always seem to have better luck with RL-19 than I do with RL-22. I have never had any 4831, but it comes highly recommended.

Very nice pictures! Awesome to see recovered bullets!

Welcome to Nosler.

Back